- Table View
- List View
This classic text on the nature of deviance, originally published in 1980, is now reissued with a new Afterword by the authors. In this new edition of their award-winning book, Conrad and Schneider investigate the origins and contemporary consequences of the medicalization of deviance. They examine specific cases-madness, alcoholism, opiate addiction, homosexuality, delinquency, and child abuse-and draw out their theoretical and policy implications. In a new chapter, the authors address developments in the last decade-including AIDS, domestic violence, co-dependency, hyperactivity in children, and learning disabilities-and they discuss the fate of medicalization in the 1990s with the changes in medicine and continued restrictions on social services. Author note: Peter Conrad is Professor of Sociology at Brandeis University. >P>Joseph W. Schneider is Professor of Sociology at Drake University.
Jacob: Twentieth book contains five chapters Peter 1. Twenty first book contains five chapters Peter 2. Twenty second book contains three chapters John 1. Twenty third book contains five chapters John 2. Twenty fourth book contains one chapter John 3. Twenty fifth book contains one chapter Jude: Twenty sixth book contains one chapter Revelation: The Twenty seventh book of the ‘Revelation of John’ is the last in the collection of documents which constitute the New Testament which contains twenty two chapters.
The Real Story of John Wayne Gacy-- By the Man Who Helped Catch HimHe was a model citizen. a hospital volunteer. and one of the most sadistic serial killers of all time. But few people could see the cruel monster beneath the colorful clown makeup that John Gacy wore to entertain children in his Chicago suburb. Few could imagine what lay buried beneath his house of horrors--until a teenaged boy disappeared before Christmas in 1978, leading prosecutor Terry Sullivan on the greatest manhunt of his career. Reconstructing the investigation--from records of violence in Gacy's past, to the gruesome discovery of 29 corpses of abused boys in Gacy's crawlspace and four others found in the nearby river--Sullivan's shocking eyewitness account takes you where few true crime books ever go: inside the heart of a serial murder investigation and trial. This updated edition features new revelations that have emerged using DNA evidence to confirm the identities of additional victims--and 16 pages of dramatic photos. An unnerving true crime story of murder, terror, and justice. --Dallas Morning NewsGRIPPING. --Publishers WeeklyCHILLING. --Nashville BannerUNNERVING. --Dallas Morning News
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.