- Table View
- List View
Newly revised and expanded, this penetrating book goes beyond battles and strategies to examine the character and development of the American military establishment and its crucial relationship to the general society. Chronologically grouped into nine historical periods, over forty articles - including a rich and enlightening introductory essay, new primary sources, and interpretative pieces - span 200 years of military history from colonial times to today. Interweaving sociological and historical perspectives, Peter Karsten probes the following provocative topics: the debate over whether the military reflects or shapes society; the nature of combat and its emotional effects on servicemen; the recruitment, training, and socialization of military personnel; public attitudes toward military systems and military attitudes toward the public; the development of interservice rivalries; the draft vs. All-Volunteer Force; racial relations in the armed services; political lobbying and the military; and much more. This new edition also contains recent material devoted to Vietnam and its impact on current military conditions.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.