- Table View
- List View
Newly revised and expanded, this penetrating book goes beyond battles and strategies to examine the character and development of the American military establishment and its crucial relationship to the general society. Chronologically grouped into nine historical periods, over forty articles - including a rich and enlightening introductory essay, new primary sources, and interpretative pieces - span 200 years of military history from colonial times to today. Interweaving sociological and historical perspectives, Peter Karsten probes the following provocative topics: the debate over whether the military reflects or shapes society; the nature of combat and its emotional effects on servicemen; the recruitment, training, and socialization of military personnel; public attitudes toward military systems and military attitudes toward the public; the development of interservice rivalries; the draft vs. All-Volunteer Force; racial relations in the armed services; political lobbying and the military; and much more. This new edition also contains recent material devoted to Vietnam and its impact on current military conditions.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.