A sexy, shoot-em-up telling of the CIA and FBI's attempts to take control of Castro's Cuba before and during the Kennedy administration, Pavia's colorful account reveals high-stakes bumbling and wishful thinking on the part of U.S. intelligence and diplomatic officials. The story features a bold cast of characters: Casino owners, washed up oddities like actor Errol Flynn, mob boss Santo Trafficante, and a covert band of ex-cons dubbed the "Doughnut Army" converge with countless agents trying to keep a lid on the tinderbox of revolutionary Cuba and Cuban Miami. The book is based on extensive interviews with the American Cold Warriors who lived and breathed "The Cuba Project."
Three days out of prison and trying to stay on the right side of the law, Harry Healy doesn't really want to get involved with Manfred Pfiser's drug deals. But he needs the money - so he agrees to make one simple delivery.Simple, that is, till Harry stumbles across a dead body, the result of a robbery cooked up by an old cellmate of his together with a former high school baseball star, a trigger-happy sociopath, and a beach bunny who can't seem to keep her clothing on. Now they're all on the run - from the Miami police, from the drug kingpins they ripped off, and from each other...
A raucous and revealing oral history of the birth of the adult film industry, The Other Hollywood peels back the candy coating to let the true story be told -- by the stars, movie makers, and other industry players who lived it. And what a story it is: Through hundreds of original interviews, contemporary newspaper accounts, police reports, court testimony, and more, Legs McNeil and coauthors Jennifer Osborne and Peter Pavia trace today's billion-dollar industry from its makeshift, mob-connected origins to the Internet age. Along the way we encounter porn stars such as Linda Lovelace, John Holmes, Traci Lords, and Savannah -- along with countless mainstream stars, politicians, FBI agents, and more. Epic, hilarious, and moving, The Other Hollywood contributes to the porn industry the one thing missing in all previous accounts: a vivid, tragicomic, irresistible humanity.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.