- Table View
- List View
A young couple goes to Bermuda on their honeymoon. They dive on the reefs offshore, looking for the wreck of a sunken ship, but they find much more.
Peter Benchley's fascination with the sea and its magnificent inhabitants inspired such classic novels as Jaws and The Deep, making him the preeminent author of ocean adventure and suspense. The Girl of the Sea of Cortez was his most heartfelt, cherished story of the relationship between man and the sea, both those that live in it and those who love it. On an island in the Gulf of California, an intrepid young woman named Paloma carries a special legacy from her father--a deep understanding of the sea and a sixth sense about the need to protect it. Every day, Paloma paddles her tiny boat into the ocean and anchors over a seamount--a submerged volcanic peak sixty feet underwater that is clustered with spectacular sea animals and a wondrous web of marine life. It is there that an astonishing event takes place, when on one of her dives Paloma is shadowed by a manta ray--an animal so large it blocks the sun. She develops an extraordinary relationship with this luminous, gentle creature, but instinctively knows its existence is a secret she must fiercely protect. Benchley's novel paints a poignant picture of humanity's precarious relationship with the ocean, which unfolds alongside a heartrending story of familial bonds, often revealing that the ignorance of man is far more dangerous than the sea. Full of beauty, danger, and adventure, The Girl of the Sea of Cortez is triumphant--a novel to fall in love with. Praise for The Girl of the Sea of Cortez "It's hard not to compare Benchley's tale . . . with Hemingway's classic The Old Man and the Sea."--The Christian Science Monitor "Charming."--The New York Times Book Review "For a hot summer's day, The Girl of the Sea of Cortez is the next best thing to looking through a clear face mask into blue water swimming with fish."--United Press InternationalFrom the Trade Paperback edition.
How could hundreds of boats, carrying more than 2,000 people, simply disappear? Why does no one know, or care to know? Blair Maynard becomes obsessed with finding out what's going on.
Available for the first time as an eBook, here is the classic suspense novel of shark vs. man that inspired the blockbuster Steven Spielberg movie. This edition of Jaws contains bonus content from Peter Benchley's archives, including the original typed title page for the novel, the author's notes on the script for the movie adaptation, and two articles written on the twenty-fifth and thirtieth anniversaries of the release of the film. It's out there in the water . . . waiting. Nature's most relentless predator. It fears nothing. It attacks anything. It devours everything. The seaside community of Amity is at its mercy. A small-town police chief, a marine biologist, and a modern-day Ahab must try to stop it. But they are only three men . . . alone against the Great White Death. NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER "Powerful . . . [Benchley's] story grabs you at once."--The New York Times Book Review "A tightly written, tautly paced study of terror . . . that still makes us tingle."--The Washington Post "Relentless terror . . . You'd better steel yourself for this one. It isn't a tale for the faint of heart."--The Philadelphia Inquirer "Pure engrossment from the very opening . . . a fine story told with style, class, and a splendid feeling for suspense."--Chicago Sun-Times
This eBook bundle includes two acclaimed books by Peter Benchley: Jaws, the classic suspense novel that inspired the blockbuster Steven Spielberg movie, and Shark Trouble, a fascinating nonfiction work.
In this riveting true adventure and informative guide to the sea, master storyteller Peter Benchley draws on more than four decades of diving experience to bring us face to face with the array of sharks and other marine animals he and his family have encountered, almost always on purpose--but sometimes by accident. In direct and accessible prose, Peter sets the record straight about the many types of sharks (including the ones that pose a genuine threat to us), the behavior of sharks and other sea creatures we fear, the odds against an attack, and how to improve them even further. He also teaches us how to swim safely in the ocean by reading the tides and currents and respecting all the inhabitants. Here are the lessons Peter has learned, the mistakes he has made, the danger he has faced--and the spectacular sights he has seen in the world's largest environment. The book includes 16 pages of black-and-white photographs. "From the Hardcover edition. "
Master storyteller Benchley ("Jaws") combines high adventure with down-to-earth advice in a book that is at once a thriller and a valuable book about being safe in, on, under, and around the shark infested ocean.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.