The next installment in Peter Lovesey's bestselling Peter Diamond series, set in scenic Bath, England. A weekend vacation in Vienna shakes loose detective Peter Diamond's recollections about a case he'd heard about: the mysterious suicide of a Japanese tourist in the Danube Canal two years earlier. Meanwhile, a professional violist goes to an audition for a string quartet only to find himself tangled up in something sinister.
"The threads of Peter Lovesey's new Peter Diamond mystery, Upon a Dark Night, twist up so neatly they make a perfect hangman's noose--another triumph of plotting from this master of the classic puzzle form."--Marilyn Stasio, The New York Times Book Review "Lovesey is . . . master of the traditional crime novel." --Publishers Weekly (starred review) "The characters are complex and well-drawn, the plot intricate but credible, the story well-told and the puzzles neatly tied up by the end."--Pittsburgh Post-Gazette "An extraordinary combination of classic puzzle with a contemporary police procedural; an immensely satisfying work by one of Britain's foremost mystery novelists."--Houston Chronicle "Lovesey's latest Peter Diamond novel offers everything a fan of classic detective fiction could want."--Booklist A young woman is dumped, injured and unconscious, in a private hospital's parking lot. She is an amnesiac with no memory prior to her discovery by hospital personnel. Detective Inspector Peter Diamond of the Bath homicide squad is unwilling to become involved. He has other, more important cases to solve: A woman has plunged to her death from the roof of a local landmark while half the young people of Bath partied below, and an elderly farmer has shot himself. Are these apparent suicides really so, or are there sinister forces at work? And then he finds a connection to the amnesiac woman named, temporarily, Rose. Peter Lovesey is the author of 24 highly praised mysteries and has been awarded The Crime Writers' Association's Gold, Silver and Diamond Daggers, as well as many US honors. He lives in West Sussex, England.From the Trade Paperback edition.
Bath is a town layered in history: Roman, Medieval, Georgian. Detective Superintendent Peter Diamond is a bluff, old-fashioned policeman. When he is presented with a skeletal hand dug up in the course of renovations taking place in the vault under the Pump Room, he assumes it is merely of archaeological interest. But when the bones prove to be modern, Diamond must dig further. His inquiries cross those of a visiting American academic in pursuit of the diary of Mary Shelley, whose Frankenstein was written in the house right next to the Pump Room vault. Can that fact have anything to do with a modern murder . . . or murders?
When a photographer's assistant is poisoned, his employer's wife is tried for murder. Is she guilty?
The death of a contender, followed by a second murder, introduces Sergeant Cribb, who goes on to investigate sports-related deaths in a series of eight books. Peter Lovesey is the author of twenty-five highly praised mystery novels and has been awarded the Crime Writers#x19; Association Gold, Silver, and Diamond Dagger awards as well as many US honors. This was his first mystery. He lives in West Sussex, England.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.