- Table View
- List View
From the man who closed the lid forever on the "toilet seat debate" in the New York Times bestseller Essential Manners for Men comes the follow-up book that paves the way for couples everywhere to fix relationship problems before they start. Peter Post offers the secrets to a long and happy marriage or partnership--without psychoanalysis or prescription medication. The good news: often just a few simple words or actions can mend a rift. Essential Manners for Couples reveals how easy it can be to keep the spark in your relationship. With self-deprecating humor, clarity, and wit, Peter recounts couples' most mischievous manners foibles (his own included). Essential Manners for Couples is based on Emily Post Institute surveys, Peter's years of fielding thousands of etiquette questions, popular demand from couples attending his national lectures and workshops, and his experience as a husband and father. Peter looks at couples' private lives and public lives, revealing the common "flashpoints"--the places, situations, and times when inconsiderate behavior is most likely to invade your blissful coupledom. He offers "etiquette imperatives"--simple truths and concise nuggets of advice not to be ignored, including: Permissive flirting: How to define parameters and enjoy verbal combat with the opposite sex. The "Chore I.Q." test--are you really divvying up the workload fairly? When you hate her friends: socializing with the enemy. Enter children: Good parents still spend time together as a couple. Bedroom etiquette--getting beyond the headache excuse. Interactions with in-laws--smooth merge or crash and burn? Where to go for the holidays: surviving family visits and how to say "no." Balancing life with your other significant other--your work ... and much more. Essential Manners for Couples is a must-have resource for the couple who wants to celebrate their union and strengthen it. As Peter Post says, "By using the principles of etiquette, couples can avoid many of the potholes on the road of their shared life, and the ones they do hit are smaller and more manageable." With this book in hand, you'll enhance your relationship, head off hostilities, and have fun doing it.
Essential Manners for Couples: From Snoring and Sex to Finances and Fighting Fair: What Works, What Doesn't, and Whyby Peter Post
The director of the Emily Post institute offers tips on friends, money, sharing chores, making alone time, bedroom etiquette, balancing work and home, in-laws, children, and more. Uses real life scenarios to help couples stop relationship problems before they begin.
In Essential Manners for Men, etiquette expert Peter Post tackles the issues of real concern for today's man, enabling him to make the right decisions about what to do and say in every situation that counts, whether in daily life, social life, or on the job. Sharp, savvy, and sensible--filled with accessible sidebars, tips, and stories from the author's own experiences--this classic New York Times bestselling handbook has been updated to reflect the realities of our modern times with all new material, including: Social media: social networking, gaming, and the world of online dating Communication in person: greetings, handshakes, and how to make the all-important good first impression Communication on-the-go: texting, e-mailing, and using smart phones Life changes: dealing with bumps in the road, from divorce to layoffs Weddings: the man's role, from groom to best man to usher, and the changing nature of the bachelor party Entertaining, dining, tipping Also: Sportsmanship Parenting Sharing living space with a roommate, spouse, or significant other Navigating the business dinner Throwing a great party or being a perfect guest . . . and much more.
There's a social aspect to golf that's unique to the sport. It's the only sport where you're building relationships at the same time that you're trying to play your best and win-and maybe close a business deal. While the rules of golf are clearly defined, the etiquette of golf is less codified. Making the wrong move can cause annoyance, errors in play, or even injury-all things your fellow golfers won't forget. Now bestselling etiquette authority and passionate golfer Peter Post explains what seasoned golfers and newcomers need to know to handle every situation with total confidence. Based on Emily Post Institute surveys on golfers' most annoying incidents on the course, Peter addresses: How to deal with the biggest frustration in golf-slow play. What to do if you break the cardinal rule of never being late. When is a "gimme" acceptable? The difference between friendly play and tournament play. Dealing with sandbaggers and other cheats. Do's and don'ts when playing for "a little something." Peter Post's useful tips on the subtleties of the game-such as how and when to offer advice, strategies for speeding up play, and "piniquette"-will help longtime golfers be better companions on the course. New golfers unsure of the unwritten social rules of golf will find all the information they need to avoid embarrassment. Packed with true stories from golfers about best moments and worst behavioral blunders on the course-ranging from the sandbagger who cheated himself out of an eagle to a wardrobe malfunction that gave new meaning to the term "You're out"-this book is for anyone who appreciates the spirit of the game.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.