- Table View
- List View
The hilarious biography reveals the captivating and dramatic life of one of the most notorious mobsters of all time -- his rise to fame, illegal activities, and a surprising personal side.
The once-great traction city of London is now just a radioactive wreck, a ruin haunted by electrical discharges and the dashed hopes of the people who once called it home-people like Tom Natsworthy. Twenty years after he fled, intending never to return, he discovers that something stirs in the remains of the old city. Tom and his daughter, Wren, aren't the only people interested in London. The desperate armies of the Traction Cities and the Green Storm are also closing in, certain that whatever is taking shape within the city holds the key to victory in their never-ending war. But it may be too late. Even as Tom and Wren hurry to uncover the mystery of London, Hester Shaw-estranged from her husband and her daughter-tracks the resurrected Stalker Fang, who has found another way to end the war and all life on the planet once and for all.
Fever Crumb is a girl who has been adopted and raised by Dr. Crumb, a member of the order of Engineers, where she serves as apprentice. In a time and place where women are not seen as reasonable creatures, Fever is an anomaly, the only female to serve in the order.
Everyone's heard of King Arthur, but no one's ever heard the truth. Gwynna is just a girl who is forced to run when her village is attacked. She is discovered in the woods by Myrddin the bard, a traveler and spinner of tales. He agrees to protect Gwynna if she will agree to be bound in service to him. Gwynna is frightened but intrigued and says yes. For this Myrddin serves the young, rough, and influential Arthur. In the course of their travels, Myrddin transforms Gwynna into a lady goddess, a boy warrior, and a spy. It is part of a plot to turn Arthur from the leader of a ragtag war band into King Arthur, the greatest hero of all time.
Nearly twenty years after the events of Mortal Engines and Predator's Gold, Tom and Hester have finally settled down. The wild adventures of their past are now little more than stories to tell their daughter, Wren, who relishes their adventures just a little bit too much. Her foolhardiness gets her kidnapped-and worse, whisked right back into the very world her parents thought they'd left behind. To rescue her, Tom and Hester must jump headfirst back into danger. Their pursuit will reunite them with enemies they thought they'd left behind forever, will ask of them sacrifices that no parent can make, and will cost one of them everything that matters most.
In an alternate Victorian England, young Arthur and his sister Myrtle, residents of Larklight, a floating house in one of Her Majesty's outer space territories, uncover a spidery plot to destroy the solar system.
In this stunning literary debut, Reeve creates an unforgettable adventure story set in a dark and utterly original world. "A brilliant construction that offers new wonders at every turn."--Publishers Weekly. A "School Library Journal" Best Book.
A sinister cloud is approaching the solar system. The closest planet, Georgium Sidus, is inhabited by the missionary Reverend Cruet and his daughter, Charity. Art, Myrtle, and the family decide to investigate after communication with them is lost.
Welcome to the astounding world of Mortal Engines! London is hunting again. Emerging from its hiding place in the hills, the great Traction City is chasing a terrified little town across the wastelands. Soon, London will feed. In the attack, Tom Natsworthy is flung from the speeding city with a murderous scar-faced girl. They must run for their lives through the wreckage--and face a terrifying new weapon that threatens the future of the world. Beloved storyteller Philip Reeve creates a brilliant new world in the Mortal Engines series, called "phenomenal...violent and romantic, action-packed and contemplative, funny and frightening" by the Sunday Times .
The second book in the exciting Mortal Engines series! When Tom and Hester's little scrapyard aircraft is pursued by rocket-firing gunships, the ice city offers sanctuary. But it is no safe refuge. Devastated by plague and haunted by ghosts, Anchorage is heading for the Dead Continent.
The third thrilling book in the stunning Mortal Engines series! Wren's parents, Tom and Hester, are happy in static Anchorage, whose rusting engines are long dead. Their daughter is desperate to escape--and a charming submarine pirate is ready to help her. But the mysterious object that she steals for him ignites a conflict that will tear the whole world apart . . .
The final book of the thrilling Mortal Engines series! London is a radioactive ruin. But Tom and Wren discover that the old predator city hides an awesome secret that could bring an end to the war. But as they risk their lives in its dark underbelly, time is running out. Alone and far away, Hester faces a fanatical enemy who possesses the weapons and the will to destroy the entire human race. The final book in the Predator Cities series, Philip Reeve's A Darkling Plain is the winner of the Guardian Children's Fiction Prize.
Young Arthur Mumby, his sister Myrtle, and their mother accept an invitation to take a holiday at an up-and-coming resort in the asteroid belt, where they become involved in a dastardly plot involving spies, time travel, and mind-altering clothing.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.