- Table View
- List View
A gripping account of three dramatic journeys that changed history. The fabled Silk Road conjures up the sights, smells and sounds of faraway lands. But traveling the Silk Road took years, and those who set out encountered bandits, starvation and treacherous storms. Adventures on the Ancient Silk Road introduces readers to three great historical figures: Chinese Buddhist Xuanzang, whose 16-year journey from China to India and back (629-645 AD) is the only source we have for huge chunks of the history and geography of this time. His successful search for Buddhist scriptures changed the course of two great nations. Genghis Khan, bred from infancy to be a warrior, brought the Mongol clans together. He established the greatest empire the world had seen, which ruled the Silk Road from 1201 to 1227. Italian merchant Marco Polo journeyed through China from 1271 to 1295. He changed the way Europe saw the world, and his book even inspired Columbus to sail west across the Atlantic Ocean in search of China. Sidebars and an afterword that updates the story of the Silk Road are featured.
A fascinating guide to strange-but-true jobs. If you could go back in time to the Middle Ages, what do you think you would be? A bold knight? A Princess? A Cardinal? In reality, most people did jobs we can barely imagine today.
Phano is almost fifteen, the traditional age for a woman to marry in ancient Athens. She is in love with Theo, who is thirty -- the traditional age for a man to marry. But marriage may not be an option for her. Her stepmother's enemy, Phrynion, claims that Phano is not really a free woman but a slave who belongs to him, and he is ready to sell her if he can get his hands on her. Phano, her father, and her stepmother must use every resource they have to try to restore her reputation and keep her safe. Even if they can keep Phrynion away, Phano may never be able to marry Theo, whose prominent family would expect a wealthy bride who would bring a good-sized dowry with her. Meanwhile, Athens faces the threat of war from Philip of Macedon. Once she turns fifteen, Phano must find her place as an adult in the turbulent society of ancient Greece.
The gold nugget Lisa discovered will pay for her family to be reunited with her in the mining town of Cameronton, and she, Archie, and Mr. Wattie have staked their claim.
Dusa Thrasman is 16 years old and in trouble. Snakes are haunting her dreams, leaving her afraid to sleep, exhausted and ill. Her doctor has tried everything, but the medications only make things worse. Then Dusa sees a television interview with two doctors, the Gordon sisters. Their specialty: curing snake dreamers. Dusa is both frightened and relieved to hear them discuss her illness as if it's a real medical condition, something with a cure! But to be treated she must go with the Gordons to their remote clinic on an isolated Greek island. From the moment Dusa arrives in Greece peculiar things happen. At the clinic, the staff and other patients have run off. The only people left are a boy named Perse and his father, the Gordons' servants. Perse tries to warn Dusa about the Gordons, but his broken English is hard to understand. Can he really mean that they haven't aged in a hundred years? What are they trying to find out when they hypnotize Dusa? And who was their sister, the original snake dreamer, the one they want to make whole again?
World War II began in September, 1939. Now, sixty years later, the publication of Too Young to Fight honors the memories of those times.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ���DAISY Text with Images���.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.