Learning Wireless Java is for Java developers who want to create applications for the Micro Edition audience using the Connected, Limited Device Configuration and the Mobile Information Device Profile (MIDP). These APIs specifically for devices such as mobile phones and pagers, allowing programmers to create MIDlet applications. This book offers a solid introduction to J2ME and MIDP, including the javax.microedition classes, as well as classes surrounding the features of the various platforms that the J2ME
Learning Wireless Java is for Java developers who want to quickly come up to speed and create applications for the Micro Edition audience. This book covers the Connected, Limited Device Configuration and the Mobile Information Device Profile (MIDP), both currently available from Javasoft. The CLDC contains APIs for small devices that are constrained by both memory and processing power. MIDP builds on top of the CLDC and adds APIs specifically for devices such as mobile phones and pagers, allowing programmers to create MIDlet applications. This book offers a solid introduction to J2ME and MIDP, including an explanation of the J2ME Wireless Toolkit, the MIDlet lifecycle methods, the Java application manager, and the CLDC and MIDP constraints. In addition, we cover the javax.microedition.io, javax.microedition.rms, javax.microedition.lcdui, and javax.microedition.midlet classes, as well as the modified java.lang, java.io, and java.util classes. Discussion centers around building safe, compact applications with the sophisticated graphical interface, database, and networking capabilities that the J2ME supports. In addition, this book also shows you how to download your applications to the latest J2ME-enabled devices, including the Motorola i50x and i85s phones and upgraded Palm handhelds.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.