- Table View
- List View
Architecture from the Inside Out: From the Body, the Senses, the Site, and the Community (2nd Edition)by Karen A. Franck R. Bianca Lepori
Introducing a basis for design that transcends fixed notions of style and emerging technologies, this book emphasizes feeling, moving and the experiential. Since the book's initial publication in 2000, architects and writers have been drawn to a more sensory approach to architecture. But there is still a need to encourage and to illustrate the pursuit of design, not as a project, imposing preconceived ideas upon a situation, but as a process evolving from the inside - from movement, sensation, surroundings and a dialogue between architect and client. The authors describe such an approach that places human life, experience and materiality at the centre of design and that seeks out opportunities for discovery, growth and transformation. Karen A. Franck is an environmental psychologist who has taught for many years in the New Jersey School of Architecture. R. Bianca Lepori is a practicing architect in Italy with many years of experience in designing houses and maternity health care facilities. Praise for the first edition: Franck and Lepori believe [architecture] should be more alive and take its character from the human body. When similarly designed from the inside out, rather than being austere and devoid of sensibilities, buildings would offer spatial sensations that connect with people. Beverly Russell, Executive Director, Archeworks The authors use. . . contemporary lenses as phenomenology and feminism to guide us on our journey through buildings. They trace the haptic qualities of architecture back through the design process with both daring and documentation. Deborah Gans, Architect and Associate Professor, Pratt Institute This book should be required reading for all architectural and design students as well as for all those individuals who are responsible for making decisions that influence our built environment. Wayne Ruga, Founder, Symposium on Healthcare Design and the Center for Health Design.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.