"In previous accounts, the U.S. Army's first clashes with the powerful Sioux tribe appear as a set of irrational events with a cast of improbable characters - a Mormon cow, a brash lieutenant, a drunken interpreter, an unfortunate Brule chief, and an incorrigible army commander. R. Eli Paul shows instead that the events that precipitated General William Harney's attack on Chief Little Thunder's Brule village foreshadowed the entire history of conflict between the United States and the Lakota people." "Brevet 2nd Lieutenant John Grattan set the stage when, in August 1854, his small command marched into a Brule camp near Fort Laramie to arrest a Lakota man. Grattan's rash decision to fire on the camp cost him, his interpreter, and twenty-nine soldiers their lives. A year later, sent to Nebraska Territory to avenge this loss, General Harney sighted a village on the banks of Blue Water Creek. His force attacked Little Thunder's village, killing dozens of men, women, and children and taking others captive on a battlefield that stretches across a buffalo ranch now owned by television mogul Ted Turner."--BOOK JACKET.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.