- Table View
- List View
Praised for its highly readable narrative and unmatched chronological integration of political, social and cultural history,The Making of the West: Peoples and Cultures captures the spirit of each age as it situates Europe within a global context. An innovative organization seamlessly connects historical events and everyday life, while the text's distinctive features introduce students to the process of historical thinking. The fully revised second edition includes superior student support, 60 additional in-text primary sources, and comprehensive treatment of the post-1945 era.
The history of the West includes many different peoples and cultures. It is a sustained story of the West's development in a broad, global context that reveals the cross-cultural interactions fundamental to the shaping of Western politics, societies, cultures, and economies.
This second edition features an updated synthesis of the vast scholarship on the history of Catholicism from the Council of Trent in the middle of the sixteenth century to the suppression of the Society of Jesus in the eighteenth century. The book covers the doctrinal and ecclesiastical renewal after Trent and the progress of Catholic reconquest in various lands. It also analyses the social composition of the Tridentine clergy and the papal curia and studies the making of early modern sainthood and the enclosure of religious women. An additional chapter on The Catholic Book as well as an updated bibliography are included.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.