- Table View
- List View
One of the most controversial political issues of the past three decades has been the question of affirmative action. The phrase was first used in 1965 when President Lyndon B. Johnson issued Executive Order 11246.
To fill a gap in US history, an author/documentary film producer specializing in racial issues profiles a broad spectrum of African-American business leaders from the colonial period to the present. Entries are listed by type of business and individual's year of birth. Among the figures featured on the cover are Maggie L. Walker (1867-1934), the first US woman bank president, and Omar Wasow, who created a black-oriented Web site. Annotation ©2004 Book News, Inc., Portland, OR (booknews.com)
The Chemistry of Joy presents Dr. Emmons's natural approach to depression -- supplemented with medication if necessary -- blending the best of Western science and Eastern philosophy to create your body's own biochemistry of joy. Integrating Western brain chemistry, natural and Ayurvedic medicine, Buddhist psychology, and his own joyful heart techniques, Dr. Emmons creates a practical program for each of the three types of depression: anxious depression, agitated depression, and sluggish depression. The Chemistry of Joy helps you to identify which type of depression you are experiencing and provides a specific diet and exercise plan to address it, as well as nutritional supplements and "psychology of mindfulness" exercises that can restore your body's natural balance and energy. This flexible approach creates newfound joy for those whose lives have been touched by depression -- and pathways for all who seek to actively improve their emotional lives.
Twins...triplets...quads...finally! The book that answers all your questions about multiple birth--written by a doctor who is a mother of twins herselfOver ten years ago when Dr. Gila Leiter, herself an OB/GYN,was pregnant with twins, the book she desperately needed wasn'tavailable. Now it is: Everything You Need to Know to Have a Healthy Twin Pregnancy. Taking you step-by-step through the processes of pregnancy and birth, Dr. Leiter shares her professional and personal expertise, providing answers to all your questions, plus practical know-how, psychological support, and extensive resources for this most joyous--and overwhelming--experience, whether you're having two babies...or four! Learn:The latest in fertility treatments and reproductive technology,and the probable outcomeWhat to expect, trimester by trimesterConcrete suggestions for working through your hopes, fears, and fantasiesWho should seek genetic counselingHow to avoid preterm labor and premature delivery--and what to do if it's unavoidableRecommended vitamins and minerals--plus do's and don'tsAll about medications: what you can take, can't take, must takeWhat you should know if you're going to have a C-sectionSpecific ideas for nurturing yourself and reducing stressThe birthing process and what to expect in the delivery roomTwelve questions to ask the doctor you're considering choosing for your pediatricianWhat it's like to bring babies home--and what you'll needto manage your new familyAnd much more
Discusses the causes and effects of prejudice and stereotyping and how such thinking can lead to discrimination against such groups as women, ethnic groups, homosexuals, the aging, and the handicapped. From the Book Jacket: Have you ever felt frustrated by the assumptions that someone was making about you? When you pick your friends, do you often rely on a first impression plus a stereotype that you believe tells you everything you need to know, positive and negative? It is impossible to go through life without making some assumptions about others, right or wrong. However, these assumptions can often lead to prejudice, which has become a pervasive and harmful presence in contemporary American society. STRAIGHT TALK ABOUT PREJUDICE provides readers with clear factual information about prejudice, stereotypes and discrimination. It clearly defines all three and demonstrates how they commonly occur in our everyday lives. The book then explores the role prejudice has played throughout history and discusses some of the reasons why it has appeared at given times and in particular forms. It carefully distinguishes between explicit and institutionalized discrimination and closely examines racial and cultural prejudice, as well as prejudice against women, homosexuals and the aged and handicapped. The volume outlines possible legal, personal and political ways of coping with prejudice and offers a directory of organizations and agencies set up for that purpose. Written in a completely accessible and straightforward style, STRAIGHT TALK ABOUT PREJUDICE provides readers with the clear, factual information needed to increase their own understanding and awareness of prejudice, how it works, and what can be done about it. Rachel Kranz is the author of numerous books for young readers on a variety of subjects.
Bind #1: Fulfill the traditional "girl" expectations-look pretty, be nice, get a boyfriend-while, excelling at "girl skills": empathy, cooperation, nurturance, relationship building.
This is both the story of how one brave woman chose to take on the government agencies that allow chemicals in the nation's food supply and a call to action to help keep families safe. Recipes throughout.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.