- Table View
- List View
It's the question that eternally plagues all good writers: How can you describe the thoughts and feelings of characters who have backgrounds or psychological aberrations with which you have no personal experience? How can you describe the feelings of a drug addict if you've never been one? How can you write about being a prisoner if you've never been to jail? You can do all the research you want, but the question still remains: How do you convincingly portray characters if you've never lived in their skin? In Breathing Life Into Your Characters, writing consultant and professional psychotherapist Rachel Ballon, Ph.D., shows you how to get in touch with the thoughts and feelings necessary to truly understand your characters, no matter what their background or life experiences. She'll show you how to: Develop a psychological profile for every character; Turn archetypes into conflicted characters; Think like a criminal to convincingly write one; Reveal personalities through the use of nonverbal communication. In addition, you'll learn how to effectively use Ballon's "Method Writing" system, taught previously only in her writing workshops, to explore your own feelings, memories, and emotions to create characters of astonishing depth and complexity!
In this inspiring, instructive little volume, noted therapist, author, and perfect muse Rachel "Doc Hollywood" Ballon, Ph. D. , sits on your shoulder whispering just the right thing at just the right time. Each chapter is a therapy session tackling a different aspect of the writing life-from conquering "page fright" and the perils/pleasures of solitude to tapping into your subconscious and nurturing the writer within. So, lie down on Dr. Rachel Ballon's couch, and send your creativity-and productivity-soaring! Book jacket.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.