- Table View
- List View
Who will become the new minister of Grace Chapel? The church board can't stop squabbling, and every week the congregation hears a sermon from a different minister. Finally, a charming man is appointed to take over the pulpit, but the townspeople offer him a chilly reception. During his stay at Grace Chapel Inn, the sisters slowly warm up to him. But will he win over the townsfolk--and Aunt Ethel--as well?
Once readers visit the charming village of Acorn Hill, they'll never want to leave. Three sisters -- Louise, a widow from Philadelphia; Alice, an unmarried nurse who lived with her father; and Jane, a divorced chef from San Francisco -- reunite in the sleepy town after their father's death and turn the family home into a charming bed-and-breakfast. Here the sisters rekindle old memories, rediscover their childhood bonds, revel in the blessings of friendship, and meet fascinating guests along the way. "Home for the Holidays", a new Christmas installment in the best-selling series (over a million copies sold), takes readers back to Acorn Hill and the characters they have grown to love. The Christmas spirit is settling over Acorn Hill, and the town is gearing up for a holiday house tour to showcase Acorn Hill's finest homes all decked out in wreathes and bows. But an unpleasant group of tourists is doing anything but making the season bright, and a stranded group of travellers shows up at the inn on Christmas Eve, seeking shelter from the storm and throwing off the sisters' plans for a quiet Christmas together. Through it all, the Howard sisters show their special blend of hospitality with their guests, who discover the importance of family and friendship -- and the true meaning of Christmas.
A circus comes to the neighborhood and the lives of the sisters at Grace Chapel Inn become like a three-ring circus as well.
When Louise's daughter Cynthia brings home a famed home-and-garden expert to write a children's book, the Howard sisters' peaceful lives are turned upside down. And when Alice realizes that the dogs at the racing track in a neighboring town are being mistreated, she gets involved in a cause much deeper than she ever intended. One thing's for sure, life is never dull with these spirited sisters, whose long, wintry days are filled with wonder.
An antique trunk, a book of sketches and a long-buried secret plunge the Howard sisters into the middle of a mystery at Grace Chapel Inn. The family will eventually come to an understanding of what the future holds.
It's back to school for Louise and her friend Viola when they volunteer to help the high school poetry club publish its magazine Promises. But the endeavor is threatened when the track coach wants the magazine's funding for new track team uniforms. And something is troubling Conor, the poetry club's editor, who has closed himself off from the rest of the group. Will Louise be able to help Conor by showing him the promise of God's love?
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.