Showing 1 through 1 of 1 results
A New Yorker writer revisits the seminal book of her youth--Middlemarch-- and fashions a singular, involving story of how a passionate attachment to a great work of literature can shape our lives and help us to read our own histories. Rebecca Mead was a young woman in an English coastal town when she first read George Eliot's Middlemarch, regarded by many as the greatest English novel. After gaining admission to Oxford, and moving to the United States to become a journalist, through several love affairs, then marriage and family, Mead read and reread Middlemarch. The novel, which Virginia Woolf famously described as "one of the few English novels written for grown-up people," offered Mead something that modern life and literature did not.In this wise and revealing work of biography, reporting, and memoir, Rebecca Mead leads us into the life that the book made for her, as well as the many lives the novel has led since it was written. Employing a structure that deftly mirrors that of the novel, My Life in Middlemarch takes the themes of Eliot's masterpiece--the complexity of love, the meaning of marriage, the foundations of morality, and the drama of aspiration and failure--and brings them into our world. Offering both a fascinating reading of Eliot's biography and an exploration of the way aspects of Mead's life uncannily echo that of Eliot herself, My Life in Middlemarch is for every ardent lover of literature who cares about why we read books, and how they read us.From the Hardcover edition.
Showing 1 through 1 of 1 results
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading
tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.
See and hear words read aloud
Listen to books with audio only
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice
installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only
mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading
tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without
downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation
required). Other browsers can be used with limited features.
Read in Braille
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona
pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed.
Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using
the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter,
section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.