- Table View
- List View
Tiffanie DiDonato was born with dwarfism. Her limbs were extremely short preventing her from even reaching her own ears. To achieve independence, she underwent a series of painful bone-lengthening surgeries that gave her an unprecedented 14 inches of height--and the independence she never thought she'd have. After her surgeries, Tiffanie was able to learn to drive, to live in the dorms during college, and to lead a normal life. As a volunteer during the War in Iraq, she wrote to the men stationed abroad. Specifically, she became a pen pal to one of the Marines, and because of this relationship, he ultimately became her husband. In this book, she wrote: "It's okay with me if you picked up this book because you're curious about what it's like to live with dwarfism. But I hope that you'll take away much more--about freedom, finding independence, and adapting to the world when it won't adapt to you."
"It's okay with me if you picked up this book because you're curious about what it's like to live with dwarfism. But I hope that you'll take away much more-about adapting to the world when it won't adapt to you. "-from Dwarf A memoir of grit and transformation for anyone who has been told something was impossible and then went on to do it anyway. Tiffanie DiDonato was born with dwarfism. Her limbs were so short that she was not able to reach her own ears. She was also born with a serious case of optimism. She decided to undergo a series of painful bone-lengthening surgeries that gave her an unprecedented 14 inches of height-and the independence she never thought she'd have. After her surgeries, Tiffanie was able to learn to drive, to live in the dorms during college, and to lead a normal life. She even made time to volunteer, writing to troops stationed abroad, and one of those Marine pen pals ultimately became her husband. Dwarf is a moving and, at times, funny testament to the power of sheer determination, and has been compared to Andrew solomon's Far From the Tree. .
¡Yo quiero! The heartwarming true story of the camera-ready Chihuahua who became a pint-sized superstar. Her name was Gidget. To the world, she was the Taco Bell dog. This is the extraordinary story of an irresistible pup's life, and that of her devoted trainer, Sue Chipperton. It is not only the story of an adorable television star, but also that of Sue's successful training techniques, and her fascinating stories of working with both human and animal stars, like Mooni, Gidget's Chihuahua roommate and the eventual star of Legally Blonde. Sue shares her delightful tales, investing humor, warmth, and rare insight into one of the freshest and most fun Hollywood success stories ever told.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.