- Table View
- List View
Two towns lie in the valley-one bustling and thriving, the other submerged and forgotten, intentionally flooded beneath the waters of a big new dam. Jay Harper's mind is on the old town as he rows across the lake, stone buildings clearly visible beneath the placid surface. He doesn't know why he has come to see this place, but something inside him - a premonition - has led him here. The new town has long since forgotten the silent warning of the old, and now ambitious entrepreneurs are trying to get the dam enlarged. But some, like Jay Harper, suspect the dam may not be safe. Trained as a geophysicist, he thinks the dam is too big, even as it is. There have been earth tremors, and bad weather is brewing. At any time, the dam could unleash its waters across the valley, blindly crushing everything in its wake. "Think of Johnstown in 1889," he says to disbelieving ears, "only this could be worse, much worse, with the whole city downstream." As factions in the town battle one another, the danger grows. This is a riveting suspense adventure story, filled with action and flesh-and-blood characters, as well as fascinating information about dams, floods, and the ways in which people cope with disaster. Here we see human ambition and ingenuity face to face with the brute forces of nature.
There were six of them trapped in the cave, high up in the New Mexico mountains-six people thrown together by the awesome power of a wilderness blizzard: Warner Harlow, his wife, son and daughter had taken a wrong turn on a bright October afternoon, onto an isolated mountain road. By the time they realized their mistake the temperature had dropped and the snow had started-and then they wrecked their car and trailer attempting a U-turn on the narrow, frozen pavement... Ben Parker was a young hiker on his way to the shelter of a mountain cabin. Once he stopped to aid the Harlows there was no time left for the trek he had planned-and barely enough time to get the Harlows, and himself, to the relative safety of a nearby cave. He never expected any of them to last the night-in sub-zero temperatures, with no relief in sight... State Senator Joe Martin had been out in his private plane, on a joyride with his mistress-a beautiful young woman named Lila. They were flying too low when the storm hit-and when they crashed near the scene of the Harlows' accident, Martin was killed instantly. But Ben was able to rescue Lila and add her name to the list of stranded, off-course travelers facing almost certain death in the tiny, airless cave... When the snow started drifting there would be rock slides-any one of which could seal them off forever in an icy tomb. When their meager supply of food and wood ran out, they would die slowly, one by one, from the fierce cold. And their only hope of deliverance now passed into the hands of a small, poorly equipped Search and Rescue team forming in the valley below them ... The S&R team were volunteers-five men and one woman-all strong and skilled in outdoor survival. But their chances of success were slim at best-and the possibilities for all out disaster were growing by the minute. Before long there might be twelve people trapped in these forbidding mountains-with the worst of the storm yet to come...
This is one of the two books that the movie "The Towering Inferno" was based upon.
a portrait of a catastrophic forest fire in the Sanrio National Forest, where a prolonged drought, the homes that fringe the forest, campers, and two escaped convicts are the ingredients for disaster.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.