- Table View
- List View
[from inside flaps] "Martha Pym said that she had never seen a ghost and that she would very much like to do so, "particularly at Christmas, for you can laugh as you like, that is the correct time to see a ghost." So begins Marjorie Bowen's story, The Crown Derby Plate, which is guaranteed to send shivers down your spine. Martha Pym is right, Christmas is the time to curl up by the fire with a collection of stories designed to make your flesh creep. Some are new stories, specially commissioned for this volume, such as Basil Copper's chilling, Wish You Were Here, in which the postman delivers messages from beyond the grave. The author of Psycho, Robert Bloch, contributes The Night Before Christmas, a powerful tale not to be read by those of a nervous disposition. Others are by firm favourites such as Nigel Kneale, author of the classic, Quatermass. His story, The Stocking, tells of a Christmas visit from the furry, green-eyed, slithery, Minkeys. W. W. Jacobs, the master of the hair-raising short story, is represented by Jem Bundler, one of his most compelling tales of terror. From another time and another place comes Sabine Baring Gould's Mustapha, set in Egypt, which tells of a man tricked into damnation. A wide range of stories are included in Horror for Christmas from the cosily creepy to the truly horrific to make a treat for Christmas no-one will want to miss."
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.