[from inside flaps] "Martha Pym said that she had never seen a ghost and that she would very much like to do so, "particularly at Christmas, for you can laugh as you like, that is the correct time to see a ghost." So begins Marjorie Bowen's story, The Crown Derby Plate, which is guaranteed to send shivers down your spine. Martha Pym is right, Christmas is the time to curl up by the fire with a collection of stories designed to make your flesh creep. Some are new stories, specially commissioned for this volume, such as Basil Copper's chilling, Wish You Were Here, in which the postman delivers messages from beyond the grave. The author of Psycho, Robert Bloch, contributes The Night Before Christmas, a powerful tale not to be read by those of a nervous disposition. Others are by firm favourites such as Nigel Kneale, author of the classic, Quatermass. His story, The Stocking, tells of a Christmas visit from the furry, green-eyed, slithery, Minkeys. W. W. Jacobs, the master of the hair-raising short story, is represented by Jem Bundler, one of his most compelling tales of terror. From another time and another place comes Sabine Baring Gould's Mustapha, set in Egypt, which tells of a man tricked into damnation. A wide range of stories are included in Horror for Christmas from the cosily creepy to the truly horrific to make a treat for Christmas no-one will want to miss."
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.