- Table View
- List View
This timely new book focuses on the various dynamics of contemporary multilateralism as it relates to global issues, global governance, and global institutions. Invited authorities, including academics, business people, and members of international groups, contribute original essays on how multilateralism as an institution has been affected by globalization, the rise of civil society and global business, emerging economic and political conditions, and new threats to peace and security in the world. Emphasizing practical applications over theoretical foundations, The New Dynamics of Multilateralism helps students understand how the practice of multilateral diplomacy has been influenced by the changes in the processes and procedures of international organizations and the role of multilateralism in the transformation of the international system of governance and the transition to an emerging new global order.
Edited by Muldoon (history, Center for Global Change and Governance at Rutgers U. ), Aviel (international relations, San Francisco State U. ), Reitano (political science, Vassar College), and Sullivan (political science, American U. in Cairo, Egypt), this collection of 20 essays arranged into five parts examines the history and current state of multilateralism from academic and practical perspectives. Chapters in part one offer an introductory overview of developments in multilateralism as a diplomatic institution, and explore multilateralism as it relates to international institutions and global governance. Subsequent chapters examine the roles of state and non-state actors--including NGOs and private foundations--and international secretariats, while covering topics ranging from economic development and terrorism, to human rights advocacy and international environmental concerns. The volume is aimed broadly at college students, scholars and practitioners of multilateralism, as well as the interested general public. Annotation ©2011 Book News, Inc. , Portland, OR (booknews. com)
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.