- Table View
- List View
The text covers the comprehensive realm of forensics and its role in criminal investigations. Physical evidence collection and preservation techniques are examined in detail including chapters on Computer Forensics and DNA.
In this new edition of Criminalistics, the noted forensic scientist Richard Saferstein brings the reader into the crime lab for a firsthand look at the role of science in the criminal justice system. Criminalistics focuses its attention on the up-to-date technologies police rely on to apprehend criminal perpetrators and to link them through trace evidence to crime scenes. This new edition emphasizes the latest DNA profiling technologies, which include STR and mitochondrial DNA. The book details how the creation of a new nationwide DNA data bank has been designed to apprehend the mobile criminal. Today, the ability to detect less than one-billionth of a gram of DNA means that forensic scientists can extract critical information at crime scenes from stamps and envelopes licked with saliva, a cup or can that has come in contact with a person's lips, chewing gum, the sweat band of a hat, or a bed sheet containing an individual's skin cells.
Forensic Science: From the Crime Scene to the Crime Lab, Second Edition, is designed to present forensic science in a straightforward and student-friendly format. Ideal for students with limited background in the sciences, topics are arranged to integrate scientific methodology with actual forensic applications. Discussions are focused on explaining state-of-the-art technology without delving into extraneous theories that may bore or overwhelm non-science students. Only the most relevant scientific and technological concepts are presented, keeping students focused on the practical knowledge they'll need in the field.
This text is designed to present forensic science in a very straightforward and student-friendly format.
Richard Saferstein has carefully adapted his classic Criminalistics text to create a comprehensive program designed specifically for high school students and teachers.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.