- Table View
- List View
It is the story of America, about the man who was the largest spirit of his time. Hunter, explorer, settler, he was a trailblazer and a revolutionary--an American icon for more than two hundred years. Born in 1734, Daniel Boone participated in the colonization of North America, the settling of the Middle Plain, the French and Indian War and the Revolutionary War, the election of his friend as the first president of the United States, the Louisiana Purchase, and the Westward Expansion.
As the war for independence wore on into the 1780s, the Carolina upcountry was an extremely dangerous place to be. Settlers, who had labored to clear the land after the Cherokees withdrew, found themselves being mustered for battle as British forces infiltrated the forests and pillaged their hard-won farms. Robert Morgan's stunning new novel tells a story of two young people caught in the chaos and war raging in that wilderness. Only sixteen years old, Josie Summers dresses herself in her murdered stepfather's clothes to disguise herself as a man and runs away from her family farm. She is almost immediately lost in the impenetrable snowy woods and thus eagerly accepts a young Methodist preacher's invitation to assist in his itinerant ministry. When "Joseph's" true identity is revealed, the very righteous Reverend John Trethman is racked with guilt at having shared his home with a young woman and, even worse, having fallen in love with her. His solution is to "marry" Josie, performing as both minister and bridegroom. When John is kidnapped by British soldiers and forced to minister to their wounded and bury their dead, Josie is on her own once more. This time, again disguised as a man, she joins the North Carolina militia. On January 17,1781, in a wooded pasture, pregnant Josie is trapped in the battle known as Cowpens-the turning point of the Revolution-and despairs of ever seeing John again. Brave Enemies is a story of enduring love and of the struggle to build a homeland as one era is dying and a new age of freedom and discovery is being born.
There is a most unusual woman living in Gap Creek. Julie Harmon works hard, "hard as a man" they say, so hard that at times she's not sure she can stop. People depend on her. She is just a teenager when her brother dies in her arms. The following year, she marries Hank and moves down into the valley. Julie and Hank discover that the modern world is complex, grinding ever on without pause or concern for their hard work. To survive, they must find out whether love can keep chaos and madness at bay. With Julie, Robert Morgan has brought to life one of the most memorable women in modern American literature with the skill that led Fred Chappell to say "Gap Creek is the work of a master."
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.