Showing 1 through 1 of 1 results
In response to the current buzz surrounding such books as "Emotional Intelligence" and "The Bell Curve," Yale University professor Robert Sternberg challenges the age-long debate over nature vs. nurture.
Proposing that nurture is far more important than nature in determining success in life, he challenges this critical debate about how to best evaluate and teach America's youth. Sternberg argues that traditional IQ tests and standardized tests measure only 'inert' intelligence, and are therefore poor predictors of how students will do in life. SATs and other standardized tests only evaluate our ability to memorize material and perpetuate the labeling of students based on often irrelevant criteria.
"Successful Intelligence" offers specific ways to develop practical and creative intelligence, it demonstrates how accomplished people make successful intelligence work for them, it shows how members of various ethnic groups who typically do not do as well on tests of academic intelligence can compete successfully on creative and practical intelligence and it tells readers that the willingness to take risks and overcome obstacles is a key attribute for achieving intelligence.
Sternberg provides us with a new definition of intelligence that predicts how students will fare in problem-solving in both their personal and professional lives. With the keys on how to achieve life's more important goals, Successful Intelligence will change the way we regard aptitude and intelligence.
Showing 1 through 1 of 1 results
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading
tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.
See and hear words read aloud
Listen to books with audio only
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice
installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only
mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading
tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without
downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation
required). Other browsers can be used with limited features.
Read in Braille
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona
pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed.
Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using
the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter,
section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.