- Table View
- List View
The impossible people who make life's journey so difficult are everywhere--at the office, in restaurants, on airplanes, living next door, members of your own family. They're . . . * your "nothing is ever good enough" boss * the "no price is ever low enough" client * the next-door neighbor who redefines the meaning of paranoia * the maître d' who looks through you as if you don't exist * the father-in-law who you know is always thinking about how much better a life his Janey or Joey would have if only married to someone other than you Ron Shapiro and Mark Jankowski give you a simple and highly effective 4-point plan for dealing with all of them and more--N. I. C. E. Their system shows you how to neutralize your emotions so you don't just react but act purposefully and wisely. It enables you to identify the type of bully, tyrant, or impossible person you're facing--the situationally difficult (something has happened that turns an otherwise reasonable person into a temporary terror); the strategically difficult (she has empirical evidence that being difficult is a strategy that gets results); or simply difficult (being difficult is his 24/7 M. O. ). Then you'll learn how to shape the outcome by controlling the encounter and, finally, how to get "unstuck" by exploring your options. Using colorful stories from all walks of life-- "He called me the scum of the earth and it went downhill from there," "First, lock all your vendors in a small room," and "The boss from hell"--the authors bring their lessons to life, from business life to family life.
Over the course of a forty-year career in the worlds of law, sports, business, and politics, Ron Shapiro has worked with and advised an incredible variety of people. What he's found is that the secret ingredient for getting into the winner's circle is simply the discipline of methodical preparation: that old-school, step-by-step way of having all your ducks in a row, whether you are an executive getting ready to do a deal or make a speech; a pitcher studying the traits of opposing hitters and keeping a meticulous notebook of their strengths and weaknesses; an international trade negotiator who knows all about the issues and the people on the other side before sitting down at the table; or a surgeon who rehearses like a classical musician. Deep down, you know you should do it. But how often do you wing it and fly by the seat of your pants because "Gosh, I don't have time . . . I've done this before . . . I know what I'm doing"? It is obvious that you have to get ready for whatever game you're playing, but all too frequently methodical preparation is the missing ingredient in today's world of instant analysis, easy access to information, and glibness that sounds good at first but is unconnected with the reality at hand. InDare to Prepare, successful people such as wine guru Robert Parker, investment legend Bill Miller, pianist Leon Fleisher, Goldman Sachs partner Lisa Fontenelli, broadcaster Bob Costas, firefighter Ann Marie Tierney, New York Mets manager Willie Randolph, and many others share the way they apply discipline in preparing for career-changing games, deals, meetings, and interviews. Cal Ripken Jr. played thousands of games in the major leagues but prepared for each like it was his first. NPR host Liane Hansen has interviewed countless people but approaches each interview with the same meticulous research time and time again. Make sure there are no slips "twixt cup and lip" as you get ready for your next personal or professional challenge by daring to prepare. From the Hardcover edition.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.