- Table View
- List View
One of our most indispensable writers . . . on everything that matters and an inspiring call-to-arms of all the ways we still need to do better.
New Writing from Harper Perennial
The New Black is a collection of twenty neo-noir stories exemplifying the best authors currently writing in this dark sub-genre. A mixture of horror, crime, fantasy, science fiction, magical realism, and the grotesque-all with a literary bent-these stories are the future of genre-bending fiction.Table of Contents:Foreword by Laird BarronStephen Graham Jones, "Father Son, Holy Rabbit"Paul Tremblay, "It's Against the Law to Feed the Ducks"Lindsay Hunter, "That Baby"Roxane Gay, "How"Kyle Minor, "The Truth and All Its Ugly"Craig Clevenger, "Act of Contrition"Micaela Morrissette, "The Familiars"Richard Lange, "Fuzzyland"Benjamin Percy, "Dial Tone"Roy Kesey, "Instituto"Craig Davidson, "Rust and Bone"Rebecca Jones-Howe, "Blue Hawaii"Joe Meno, "Children Are the Only Ones Who Blush"Vanessa Veselka, "Christopher Hitchens"Nik Korpon, "His Footsteps are Made of Soot"Brian Evenson, "Windeye"Craig Wallwork, "Dollhouse"Tara Laskowski, "The Etiquette of Homicide"Matt Bell, "Dredge"Antonia Crane, "Sunshine for Adrienne"
An Untamed State is a novel of hope intermingled with fear, a book about possibilities mixed with horror and despair. It is written at a pace that will match your racing heart, and while you find yourself shocked, amazed, devastated, you also dare to hope for the best, for all involved. "--Edwidge Danticat, author of Breath, Eyes, Memory and The Dew Breaker Roxane Gay is a powerful new literary voice whose short stories and essays have already earned her an enthusiastic audience. In An Untamed State, she delivers an assured debut about a woman kidnapped for ransom, her captivity as her father refuses to pay and her husband fights for her release over thirteen days, and her struggle to come to terms with the ordeal in its aftermath. Mireille Duval Jameson is living a fairy tale. The strong-willed youngest daughter of one of Haiti's richest sons, she has an adoring husband, a precocious infant son, by all appearances a perfect life. The fairy tale ends one day when Mireille is kidnapped in broad daylight by a gang of heavily armed men, in front of her father's Port au Prince estate. Held captive by a man who calls himself The Commander, Mireille waits for her father to pay her ransom. As it becomes clear her father intends to resist the kidnappers, Mireille must endure the torments of a man who resents everything she represents. An Untamed State is a novel of privilege in the face of crushing poverty, and of the lawless anger that corrupt governments produce. It is the story of a willful woman attempting to find her way back to the person she once was, and of how redemption is found in the most unexpected of places. An Untamed State establishes Roxane Gay as a writer of prodigious, arresting talent. "From the astonishing first line to the final scene, An Untamed State is magical and dangerous. I could not put it down. Pay attention to Roxane Gay; she's here to stay. "--Tayari Jones, author of Silver Sparrow and Leaving Atlanta "[Haiti's] better scribes, among them Edwidge Danticat, Franketienne, Madison Smartt Bell, Lyonel Trouillot, and Marie Vieux Chavet, have produced some of the best literature in the world. . . . Add to their ranks Roxane Gay, a bright and shining star. "--Kyle Minor, author of In the Devil's Territory, on Ayiti
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ���DAISY Text with Images���.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.