A parenting specialist and child psychologist helps tackle a headache for parents and kids alike--homework--and gets underachievers back on track.Is your child constantly bored or frustrated at school? Has homework become more of a family crisis than a learning exercise every evening? As any parent of a school-age child can tell you, helping children to achieve at school and get into a good college is a primary concern. Parents are starting to worry about this when their children are still very young, knowing that the work habits and study skills their children develop in elementary school will affect their performance in middle school, high school, and eventually, college. Unfortunately, bad habits on the part of kids and parents can result in poor academic performance and tense parent/child relationships.Now, in Overcoming Underachieving, Dr. Ruth Peters--a trusted child psychologist who has helped thousands of children and their parents solve scholastic problems--tackles kids' academic underachievement head-on, and presents a clear strategy that has worked for her clients and can work for almost all kids who aren't performing as well as they could. With a practical program targeted for parents of children from first through the twelfth grade, this book gives concrete advice about how to:-reward performance-build a child's self-concept-help kids battle apathy-identify common behavioral patterns among parents and children that lead to academic underachievementAs the market is inundated with new study aids and guidebooks and expensive tutors, Dr. Peters's straightforward, strategic plan is a breath of fresh air for parents and children. Overcoming Underachieving is the best tool for helping your kids get the better grades they want and deserve.From the Trade Paperback edition.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.