- Table View
- List View
The best of the best--on land, in the air, on or under the seas--they are good to go, anytime...anywhere...Cold FireThe daring rescue of a Russian scientist from the frigid waters of the Bering Sea takes clockwork precision and a team of the best SEAL commandos the military has ever trained. And failure is not an option because the conscience-stricken defector carries information that leads to a second mission of such intensity it makes the first seem like a kindergarten game. Now a deep-running nuclear sub transporting a six-man SEAL team races toward an explosive destiny in one of the coldest places on Earth. And on an ice-covered island in Russian territorial waters--where the secret construction of biological weapons of mass destruction is taking place under heavy guard-an impossible search-and-snatch operation will either change the course of history . . . or end with one hell of a bang.
Just as the ground war in Desert Storm begins, the U.S. military must destroy the most deadly weapon in Saddam Hussein's arsenal. An air strike is too risky. An infantry charge is too slow. Next move -- bring in the Navy SEALs! The place itself is meaningless -- a small island in the Persian Gulf. But on the island is a rocket full of anthrax. If it explodes, it is close enough to Kuwait to kill thousands of Kuwaitis and servicemen. If it is launched on a rocket, it is capable of reaching the U.S. military bases in Saudi Arabia. Only one group can destroy the weapon -- the Navy SEALs. Using a secret U.S. submarine, the SEALs understand how dangerous their mission will be. Even if they are able to get past Saddam's Republican Guard to their objective, the objective itself could kill them all. But with thousands of lives and the war itself hanging in the balance, they know there is no room for even the slightest mistake.
The SEALs never rest -- but neither do their enemies. Borders have been redrawn, old enemies have fallen, and new ones have arisen from the ashes to threaten civilization. While the Cold War has ended, it has left in its wake a Russia more unpredictable, more unstable, and more dangerous than ever before. Grigory Rostov, a former commander in the elite Spetznaz special forces -- turned arms dealer, knows how to procure some of the former USSR's most destructive and vulnerable weaponry. Selling these next generation Weapons of Mass Destruction to his client will almost certainly precipitate a war between the US and China, opening the door for Russia to be reclaim its place as a the sole remaining superpower, and making Rostov a millionaire in the process. The only thing that can prevent Taiwan from becoming Ground Zero in the next World War: a top secret new unit within the Navy SEALs.
Tasked with stopping a plot by Saddam Hussein, the SEALs must use all their skills and discipline to stop a biological rocket attack. The SEALs of the NSMD have only a narrow window to neutralise the threat. Only by using submarine technology and tactics can they hope to complete the mission. If they fail thousands, perhaps millions, of lives, could be lost. And if they succeed, no one will ever know what happened. Locked and loaded, the SEALs are ready for war.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.