- Table View
- List View
Contrary to popular belief, death isnot a moment in time, such as whenthe heart stops beating, respirationceases, or the brain stops functioning. Death,rather, is a process--a process that can beinterrupted well after it has begun. Innovativetechniques, such as drastically reducing thepatient's body temperature, have proven to beeffective in revitalizing both the body andmind, but studies show they are only employedin approximately half of the hospitalsthroughout the United States and Europe. In Erasing Death, Dr. Sam Parnia presentscutting-edge research from the front line ofcritical care and resuscitation medicine thathas enabled modern doctors to routinelyreverse death, while also shedding light onthe ultimate mystery: what happens to humanconsciousness during and after death. Parniareveals how medical discoveries focused onsaving lives have also inadvertently raised thepossibility that some form of "afterlife" maybe uniquely ours, as evidenced by the continuationof the human mind and psyche in thefirst few hours after death. Questions aboutthe "self" and the "soul" that were oncerelegated to theology, philosophy, or evenscience fiction are now being examined afreshaccording to rigorous scientific research. With physicians such as Parnia at the forefront,we are on the verge of discovering a new universalscience of consciousness that reveals thenature of the mind and a future where death isnot the final defeat, but is in fact reversible.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.