- Table View
- List View
Contrary to popular belief, death isnot a moment in time, such as whenthe heart stops beating, respirationceases, or the brain stops functioning. Death,rather, is a process--a process that can beinterrupted well after it has begun. Innovativetechniques, such as drastically reducing thepatient's body temperature, have proven to beeffective in revitalizing both the body andmind, but studies show they are only employedin approximately half of the hospitalsthroughout the United States and Europe. In Erasing Death, Dr. Sam Parnia presentscutting-edge research from the front line ofcritical care and resuscitation medicine thathas enabled modern doctors to routinelyreverse death, while also shedding light onthe ultimate mystery: what happens to humanconsciousness during and after death. Parniareveals how medical discoveries focused onsaving lives have also inadvertently raised thepossibility that some form of "afterlife" maybe uniquely ours, as evidenced by the continuationof the human mind and psyche in thefirst few hours after death. Questions aboutthe "self" and the "soul" that were oncerelegated to theology, philosophy, or evenscience fiction are now being examined afreshaccording to rigorous scientific research. With physicians such as Parnia at the forefront,we are on the verge of discovering a new universalscience of consciousness that reveals thenature of the mind and a future where death isnot the final defeat, but is in fact reversible.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.