It is the year 1801. Polly Forster is a beautiful but penniless Northumbrian girl who longs to escape from a stifling, unhappy existence as a companion to a miserly spinster cousin. And now her chance has come. The romantic and mysterious man she has met at the home of a friend has charged her with a dangerous mission--to carry an urgent and unknown message to the last remaining Jacobites among the Scottish settlers in Nova Scotia. In a moment of mad passion she accepts the charge--and his offer of a rendezvous in Canada and a promise of marriage. Polly embarks on the Agnes MacVeagh, a sailing ship bound for Pictou, Nova Scotia, with a cargo of refugees from the Highland Clearances in Scotland. But on the hazardous voyage Polly is assailed by doubts. New friends have opened wider vistas for her, and unexpected incidents force her to question her reckless actions and her relationship with Lucian, a man whom she barely knows. Does he really love her? What will happen if he breaks his word? What is in the Jacobite letter? And how much does the British government agent on the ship, the handsome, fascinating yet enigmatic Augustus Fenwick, know about Polly's curious involvement in a treasonable enterprise that is punishable by hanging? Polly must discover the answers to these and many other questions before the perilous voyage is ended if she is to find the happiness she seeks in the new world.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.