- Table View
- List View
An intensely powerful and moving memoir about genetics, mortality, family, femininity, and the author's battle with cancerAfter the grief of losing her mother to cancer when Sarah Gabriel was a teenager, she had learned to appreciate "the charms of simple happiness. " With a career as a journalist, a home in Oxford, England, a husband, and two young daughters, she was content. But then at age forty-four, she was diagnosed with breast cancer--the result of M18T, an inherited mutation on theBRCA1gene that had taken the lives of her mother and countless female ancestors. Eating Pomegranatesis Gabriel's candid and incredibly intimate story of being forced to acknowledge that while you can try to overcome the loss of a parent, you can never escape your genetic legacy. Being diagnosed with the same disease that killed her mother compelled Gabriel to write this story. In her struggle for survival, she recounts the rigors of her treatments and considers the impact of a microscopic piece of DNA on generations of her family's dynamics. She also revisits her past in an effort to reclaim her identity and learn more about the mother who disappeared too early from her life. Beautiful and brutal,Eating Pomegranates--like the myth of Persephone and Demeter, which inspires the title--is about mothers and motherless daughters. It is about a woman so afraid of abandoning her children that she is hardly able to look at them, and about the history of breast cancer itself, from early radical surgeries to contemporary medicine. Combining passion, humor, fierce intelligence, and clinical detail,Eating Pomegranatesis an extraordinary book about an all-too-ordinary disease.
Her time is nearly out . . . To claim her inheritance, Fiona MacCarran must marry a wealthy Highlander, and soon. Arriving in the misty Highlands as a schoolteacher, she despairs of finding an acceptable groom . . . until she meets Dougal MacGregor. She knows he's just a smuggler, and yet when the handsome laird pulls her into his arms, she forgets about obligations, the law, and finding that perfect Highland groom. He must save his clan . . . Moving his finest whiskey--and fast--is the only way Dougal can protect his people. It should be simple, but nothing is easy with Fiona MacCarran around. He cannot allow himself to be distracted by the sensual schoolmistress. After all, a Highland rebel and a law-abiding lass could never have a future together . . . or could they? Soon they are caught in a battle between honor and desire, with the only victory lying in sweet, sweet surrender.
The brazen beauty is said to possess fairy magic, and has successfully charmed and seduced English soldiers out of their most carefully guarded secrets to aid her kinsmen. But now the infamous Kate MacCarran has met the one man who seems immune to her legendary allure ... Captain Alec Fraser of The Black Watch has no doubt that Katie Hell is trouble. Hadn't she just drugged him, kissed him, then searched through his belongings? Now the elusive spy is his captive, and it is Alec's duty to transport her to Edinburgh. But the Highland hellion challenges him at every turn, determined to escape with her secrets. Soon Alec discovers that keeping Kate out of mischief may be an almost impossible task ... just as Kate realizes that surrendering to his passionate love may be her most dangerous mission yet.
A reluctant groom . . . Noble warrior James MacCarran has no desire to venture onto the thorny battlefield of marriage. But his grandmother's will issues an ultimatum-marry or forfeit his rightful inheritance-and now he must find a bride. Only the most ravishing woman could make it worth his while, but when he meets Elspeth MacArthur, she is nothing like he anticipated. Yes, she is beautiful, luminous really, but there is something mysterious about this lass . . . An enchanting bride . . . Reluctant to leave her Highland home, Elspeth must keep an astonishing secret when unexpected circumstances force her to marry. But as an unseen threat draws ever closer, about to reveal the truth of her life in the mystical Highlands, she soon realizes that her only haven is in James' passionate embrace . . . and that carries the greatest risk of all.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.