- Table View
- List View
In this metaphysical thriller, a thirty-something punk rocker fleeing a troubled marriage is hired for a grant writing job at a southern California psychiatric hospital. When he gets tangled up in a neuropsychiatrist's mysterious research and is subsequently targeted by a nefarious advertising executive, the situation spins dangerously out of control.Sean Carswell is the author of four books. His work has appeared in numerous publications including Thrasher and The Southeast Review. He co-founded Razorcake magazine and Gorsky Press. He currently lives in Ventura, California, and is a professor of American literature at California State University Channel Islands.
"Sean Carswell is a wonderful storyteller. . . . Reading his stuff makes you laugh and makes you think."--Howard Zinn"[Carswell's writing is] the antidote to what is so boring or safe or wrong with modern book publishing."--Joe Meno, author of Hairstyles of the DamnedTrain Wreck Girl is the funny and tragic story of one man's quest to figure out what to do with his life now that it's too late for him to die young.After finding his girlfriend dead on the railroad tracks right after breaking up with her, Danny McGregor--Flagstaff bartender and surfer without an ocean--rides the next bus out of Arizona, fleeing to his Cocoa Beach, Florida, hometown, where a maelstrom of past ghosts await.Back in Florida, his treacherous friend, Bart, finds Danny a job picking up corpses. Sophie, a former crazy girlfriend who stabbed Danny, wants to rekindle their relationship. Taylor, a twelve-year-old neighborhood girl, only wants Danny to teach her to surf. And then there's Helen, with a face that launched a dozen Greyhounds. Through the chaos, Danny discovers his strengths amid all his weaknesses and is able to move forward while making peace with his past.Sean Carswell is a former carpenter, housepainter, dishwasher, and warehouse clerk. His fiction has appeared in dozens of literary journals. He has been a staff writer for Flipside, Clamor, and Ink 19, and is a regular contributor to Razorcake. A co-founder of Gorsky Press, he is currently a professor at the University of California.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.