- Table View
- List View
Professional musicians tell how they developed as artists, how they approach performance, and how they handle the business side of the business-offering solace and heartfelt inspiration along the way. How to Grow as a Musician is packed with candid advice on everything from overcoming failure to the art of writing a song to doing that all-important "ego check." It also covers such vital practical areas as the role of contracts, self-promotion, getting and keeping gigs, and managing money. A special self-evaluation lets readers assess whether they have what they need to succeed in the music business.
Celebrating both the famous and the obscure from every genre of music--including classical, rock, Latin, country, blues, and hip-hop, The Little Red Book of Musician's Wisdom offers a touching anecdote or pithy line for every musical occasion. Musicians, critics, DJs, and industry onlookers provide illuminating commentary on a wealth of topics: Singing, rehearsing, and performing Success, fame, and fortune Failure and rejection Music critics and industry bigwigs Love, passion, and sex Aging and death Humor and wit Religion and spiritualityIndividual sections pay particular homage to the words of Ron Carter, T. S. Monk, The Beatles, and Benny Golson. Musicians, music lovers, and those who love hearing from the talented and famous will savor this collection of provocative, mischievous, and profound words from musical personalities of the past and present."Music is the divine way to tell beautiful, poetic things to the heart."--Pablo Casals"No two people on earth are alike, and it's got to be that way in music, or it isn't music."--Billie Holiday"Most of the times, once you're out of the limelight is when you want to be in it."--Tina Turner"The sign of a mature musician is knowing what not to play."--Dizzy Gillespie
In The Quotable Musician: From Bach to Tupac, music artists through the ages speak out in this illuminating collection of quotations. Both the famous and the obscure from every genre of music--including classical, rock, Latin, country, blues, and hip-hop-are celebrated in more than one thousand quotations sure to intrigue and delight. Quotes offer individual takes on the music world, other musicians, singing and "the song," performing and rehearsing, success, fame, fortune, failure, and rejection. Readers will also see both the playful and serious sides of the music masters in sections on love, passion, relationships, and sex; aging and death; nature and healing; humor and witticisms; religion and spirituality; and much more. Special sections pay particular attention to the words of Ron Carter, T.S. Monk, the Beatles, and Benny Golson. Any musician or music lover will savor this collection of provocative, mischievous, and profound words from music personalities of the past and present.
For those looking for a little more from musicians and composers than music here are quotations of wit and wisdom, anger and admission. Material is divided into 30 topics such as identity, humor, conducting, other musicians, wisdom, and society. Also featured are short interviews with Ron Carter, a discussion about Thelonious Sphere Monk with his son, and Benny Golson. Musicians and composers run the genre gamut, with jazz, classical, and popular musics featured most predominantly. Anderson is the host of Sunday Morning Harmony on WBGO in Newark. The book is geared to a popular readership. Annotation (c)2003 Book News, Inc. , Portland, OR (booknews. com)
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.