- Table View
- List View
This collection of quotations speaks to the forms and principles of our American democracy and laws, and to the courage, optimism and sacrifice that ennoble our great American experiment. "Throughout his years in public service, Senator Sheldon Whitehouse has collected fresh and timeless insights, advice, and inspiration from a unique array of wise men and women. While partisanship and political infighting plague Washington, Sheldon's life handbook will remind every reader--regardless of political persuasion--of America's core values, and of our own better natures. On Virtues couldn't have come at a better time for our country." --President William Jefferson Clinton "My friend and colleague, Sheldon Whitehouse, has written a very valuable book of quotations. In On Virtues, he has collected the wisdom of some of the sharpest observers of history and the human condition. They should inspire readers to live satisfying, honorable, and genuinely patriotic lives just as they have inspired him. I highly recommend it." --U.S. Senator John McCain "Sheldon Whitehouse's two-decade effort at assembling great quotations has yielded a treasure. I have never encountered such an abundance of useful wisdom in such a compact volume." --Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. "This isn't just a collection of inspiring quoting--though it is. This isn't just a guide to living an honorable life--though it is. It's a book you will keep by your bedside and enjoy for years and years to come." --U.S. Senator Al Franken "This book is a wonderful reminder--one we need in these times--that our lives are about more than just our personal comfort, and that we each inherit a tradition of idealism and action for the greater good. This great collection of thoughts should be kept at hand by all who occupy the office of 'citizen.'" --Trevor Potter, lawyer for Stephen Colbert's SuperPAC and former Chairman of the Federal Election Commission
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.