- Table View
- List View
Few laws have sparked as much debate as the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), passed by Congress in 1990. With thought-provoking analysis by noted experts in a variety of fields, this book provides a keen understanding of the consequences of the law--for both those who oppose burdensome costs of the law and those who feel it must do more to protect citizens with disabilities from intolerance and social limitation.
Three philosophers and a physician address the impact of the 1990 Americans with Disabilities Act on what we think, personally and socially, about disability. The essays take differing positions on how justice for people with disabilities may be secured while addressing the ways in which the law has altered philosophical assumptions about people with disabilities. Themes include dependence, independence, and interdependence; normalcy and deviancy; fairness in allocating benefits and burdens; intrinsic or instrumental value; and Kantian concerns for human dignity and utilitarian concerns for aggregate welfare. Annotation c. Book News, Inc. , Portland, OR (booknews. com)
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.