- Table View
- List View
Few laws have sparked as much debate as the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), passed by Congress in 1990. With thought-provoking analysis by noted experts in a variety of fields, this book provides a keen understanding of the consequences of the law--for both those who oppose burdensome costs of the law and those who feel it must do more to protect citizens with disabilities from intolerance and social limitation.
Three philosophers and a physician address the impact of the 1990 Americans with Disabilities Act on what we think, personally and socially, about disability. The essays take differing positions on how justice for people with disabilities may be secured while addressing the ways in which the law has altered philosophical assumptions about people with disabilities. Themes include dependence, independence, and interdependence; normalcy and deviancy; fairness in allocating benefits and burdens; intrinsic or instrumental value; and Kantian concerns for human dignity and utilitarian concerns for aggregate welfare. Annotation c. Book News, Inc. , Portland, OR (booknews. com)
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.