- Table View
- List View
The Second Edition of the Handbook of Neurochemistry, which was published about 24 years ago, consisted of 10 volumes. The present, Third Edition, The Handbook of Neurochemistry and Molecular Biology, is over twice as large; indicating a great expansion of neuroscience in the past two decades. We now have not only more data on brain mechanisms relating to behavior (mental activity and cognitive processes), but we understand in some detail the mechanisms of these functions. The past editions focused purely on neurochemical aspects - the new edition reflects the need of interdisciplinary approach for understanding neural mechanisms. In addition to metabolic processes, the 17 new volumes explore the functions of peptides, transport, immunology and other processes not well understood 24 years ago. Several volumes deal with pathological changes and with repair and therapy of both mental and neurological pathologies. The purpose of this edition is to provide an evaluation of the results of investigations; to serve as a guide rather than enumerating all the available findings in detail - it indicates future possibilities and the existing knowledge in neuroscience. The significance of understanding neural processes needs no emphasis - its potential is primary in mental and neural pathology, but also in physiological importance. The volumes should serve as an aid to researchers expanding our knowledge and to educators training the next generation of neuroscientists and clinicians.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.