- Table View
- List View
Reissued with the original illustrations and discography, Giants of Jazz offers a unique glimpse into the lives of America's jazz greats. Told with masterful detail, the selected portraits weave together the stories of the individual jazz musicians' lives with the history of the jazz era, and jazz music's evolution from the speakeasies of New York to the concert halls of the world's greatest cities. Details include Joe Oliver's favorite meal, Fats Waller's 1932 rendezvous in Paris with eminent organist Marcel Dupre, Dizzy Gillespie's trip as a child to the pawnshop to buy his first horn, and the origin of Billie Holiday's nickname. Other artists featured include Count Basie, Bix Beiderbecke, Benny Goodman, Woody Herman, and Bessie Smith.
A memory book of World War Two. The title is a phrase that has been frequently voiced by men of that generation, to distinguish that war from other wars. Quotes have been added because the adjective "good" mated to the noun "war" is so incongruous.
Here is the America of the 1980s: the yuppies, right-wing fundamentalists, along with the sixties activists, and real estate speculators. How has America changed since then?
This classic oral history features the voices of the men and women who actually lived through the Great Depression of the 1930's.
At the age of 94, Studs Terkel looks back over a long and colorful life. He recalls his early years in Brooklyn; his family's move to Chicago, where his mother ran a hotel; and his years as an actor in radio soap operas. He describes his involvement in Progressive politics, his evolution as an oral historian, and decades of encounters with the nation's movers and shakers, both famous and obscure.
The reality of what people do - the pride, humiliation, boredom, and excitement - whom they hate, whom they respect, and how they get through the day
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.