- Table View
- List View
From the Book jacket: How can you buy the sky? How can you own the rain and the wind? So began the moving words attributed to a great American Indian chief over one hundred years ago. They are words that eloquently and poetically captured the central belief of Native Americans: that this earth and every creature on it is sacred. It is these words and this belief that have inspired what has been truly a labor of love for Susan Jeffers; her most extraordinary paintings illuminate the words and world vision possessed by Native Americans. Brother Eagle, Sister Sky will haunt all who see it with its portrayal of what has been lost in our world, and is an important message to people young and old to care for and preserve the environment. CHIEF SEATTLE lived from approximately 1790 to 1866, in the Pacific Northwest region of what is now the United States. He was a chief of the Suquamish and the Duwamish Indians and was present at treaty negotiations that took place with the dominant white settlers in the 1850s. It is at one of these negotiations that Chief Seattle delivered a speech in his native tongue, a speech which has since- in a variety of forms-served as the basis of ecological movements around the world and from which Brother Eagle, Sister Sky is drawn. Susan Jeffers is internationally acclaimed for her exquisite paintings, and the illustrator of numerous picture books for Dial-all of which brilliantly portray nature. Ms. Jeffers' paintings are beautifully described.
The classic American poem The Song of Hiawatha is developed into a tale covering the childhood of Hiawatha and telling the story of his early years, when he first learned the Native American way of life from his grandmother.
How do we find the time to nurture relationships with the people we love? By simplifying. And Love Sweeter Love teaches us how to decide who and what is most important, work together as a couple, and savor life's sweetest moments. Mitchell has warm, practical, easy-to-understand advice for everyone--young, mature, single, married, or divorced--interested in creating simple, sacred time for love.
A little girl who longs for a pony draws pictures of a dappled mare she names Silver, then rides her through a magical countryside in her dreams. At the heart of Susan Jeffers's exquisite picture book lies the idea that in her imagination, a child can journey anywhere and do anything--even fly through the stars on her very own pony...
Despite the many animals in the forest, three hunters see only a ship, a house, and a pincushion and find nothing to shoot.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.