- Table View
- List View
Trouble strikes in Boston! Lydia and Stephen Lankford are growing up in a Boston that is occupied by more than four thousand British soldiers. Like many other children in Boston, Lydia taunts the soldiers and throws snowballs at them, but Stephen worries that his older sister might get into serious trouble. Then trouble strikes! A British sentry is surrounded by a mob of more than one hundred colonists. The mob refuses to break up and pelts the soldier with ice and stones. When it's over, four colonists are dead and one more is dying. Was it self-defense or murder? Stephen and Lydia eagerly await the verdict. And while they wait, Stephen wonders if Lydia will learn her lesson or if her impulsive behavior will bring danger to their own family.
Boston's streets are filled with violence. William and Kathleen Lankford's neighborhood isn't safe anymore. Angry because of increasing taxes, mobs are attacking British agents and soldiers. The mobs burn homes and destroy properties. Even some of William and Kathleen's friends have lost their homes. Then, to William and Kathleen's horror, a young British soldier is shot right in front of them. Uncle Cuyler, a doctor, wants their help in treating the wounded soldier. But if they do, what will the mobs do to them? And what will happen to their family's home?
There's danger on the railroad. Charles Fisk likes to run risks with the trains on the railroad tracks outside Cincinnati. But when his sister Tina accidentally discovers that a friend's family is involved in the Underground Railroad, the two Fisks run into more trouble than either one had bargained for. When they see an escaping slave being followed by a slave catcher. Tina and Charles know they must help. But what can they do without raising the slave catcher's suspicions?
David and Daria love baseball David and Daria Fisk are twins. They meet up with TJ and DJ Baxter, another set of twins who have moved to Cincinnati from South Carolina. David is an excellent striker, TJ hurls better than anyone his age, and Dana and DJ are good fielders. With their friends, they form one of the best teams in town. Unfortunately, Mrs. Baxter is not happy with her sons' Yankee friends and their anti-slavery views. Then David and TJ begin fighting over the best way to run the team. Daria and DJ try to bring peace between their brothers, but nothing seems to work. When South Carolina breaks away from the Union, can anything save the twins' friendship?
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.