- Table View
- List View
Trouble strikes in Boston! Lydia and Stephen Lankford are growing up in a Boston that is occupied by more than four thousand British soldiers. Like many other children in Boston, Lydia taunts the soldiers and throws snowballs at them, but Stephen worries that his older sister might get into serious trouble. Then trouble strikes! A British sentry is surrounded by a mob of more than one hundred colonists. The mob refuses to break up and pelts the soldier with ice and stones. When it's over, four colonists are dead and one more is dying. Was it self-defense or murder? Stephen and Lydia eagerly await the verdict. And while they wait, Stephen wonders if Lydia will learn her lesson or if her impulsive behavior will bring danger to their own family.
Boston's streets are filled with violence. William and Kathleen Lankford's neighborhood isn't safe anymore. Angry because of increasing taxes, mobs are attacking British agents and soldiers. The mobs burn homes and destroy properties. Even some of William and Kathleen's friends have lost their homes. Then, to William and Kathleen's horror, a young British soldier is shot right in front of them. Uncle Cuyler, a doctor, wants their help in treating the wounded soldier. But if they do, what will the mobs do to them? And what will happen to their family's home?
There's danger on the railroad. Charles Fisk likes to run risks with the trains on the railroad tracks outside Cincinnati. But when his sister Tina accidentally discovers that a friend's family is involved in the Underground Railroad, the two Fisks run into more trouble than either one had bargained for. When they see an escaping slave being followed by a slave catcher. Tina and Charles know they must help. But what can they do without raising the slave catcher's suspicions?
David and Daria love baseball David and Daria Fisk are twins. They meet up with TJ and DJ Baxter, another set of twins who have moved to Cincinnati from South Carolina. David is an excellent striker, TJ hurls better than anyone his age, and Dana and DJ are good fielders. With their friends, they form one of the best teams in town. Unfortunately, Mrs. Baxter is not happy with her sons' Yankee friends and their anti-slavery views. Then David and TJ begin fighting over the best way to run the team. Daria and DJ try to bring peace between their brothers, but nothing seems to work. When South Carolina breaks away from the Union, can anything save the twins' friendship?
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.