- Table View
- List View
From the preface: This book is a centennial tribute to John Steinbeck, born February 27, 1902 in Salinas, California. Over two years ago, after I discussed this project with both Elaine Steinbeck, the author's widow, and Eugene Winkle, President of McIntosh and Otis, I started writing letters to writers. The letter said, in part: "I would like to compile a volume of other writers' brief comments on Steinbeck: his importance as a twentieth-century literary and cultural figure; his significance to your own work; his impact as a writer. Any length comment would be most appreciated ... There seems no better way to commemorate the importance of Steinbeck than to show how he influenced others." Compiled here are the responses I received. It is certainly a tribute to Steinbeck the writer; it is also a tribute to the men and women of letters who wrote so generously and thoughtfully about his work.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.