- Table View
- List View
Incensed that children of immigrant farm workers are being kept home to work in the fields instead of attending school, Laura heads a crusade in her community to bring education to the children and their parents, despite heavy opposition from some townspeople.
Food provisions are scarce as the little town of Mansfield faces one of the worst winters on record. Fierce blizzards isolate the town from the rest of the world. Laura and Manly spearhead a heroic relief effort for their starving neighbors.
It's the turn of the century and women still don't have the right to vote-- and the town of Mansfield is divided over the issue. As the county's top attorney prepares to debate the women's rights leader, Ellen Boyle, on a woman's right to vote, someone slips Boyle sleeping medicine. Laura, called on to take her place, suddenly finds herself at the forefront of one of the most important debates in history.
When Pa comes to visit the farm in Missouri, he and Laura have so much fun reminiscing about the old days that they decide to set out in search of their old homestead, and on the way they relive many of the special memories of their past.
After devastating events in San Francisco, several Chinese families plan to make Mansfield their new home. Because part of the community views foreigners with contempt, the town is split over the arrival of the Chinese families. Laura hopes a moving Thanksgiving ceremony will bring the town back together and allow the Chinese residents to see Mansfield as the land of promise they hoped it would be.
The Days of Laura Ingalls Wilder is a fictional series created and authored by T. L. TEDROW. Viewed as a key figure in history and an outstanding role model to children, Laura Ingalls Wilder served as Tedrow's inspiration for creating these stories about her life as a Pioneer wife, mother, and crusading journalist. It's 1884, and after devastating losses in South Dakota, Laura, Manly, and little Rose head East to Mansfield, Missouri, in search of a new beginning...
Laura meets Josie, an eccentric old woman living in the mountains who is an herbalist and nature lover. Josie's strange and wonderful ways are viewed with suspicion by the townspeople, but Laura is determined to convince them to open their hearts and minds to Josie. Laura hopes they will soon realize that Josie can help them- whether by restoring the forest or by finding a cure for a sick boy.
When Laura is assigned to report on the St. Louis World's Fair, she jumps at the opportunity to also write about The Third Olympic Games taking place in St. Louis. Incensed by the bizarre side-show events taking place at the Games, Laura confronts the promoters and the crowd about their behavior and passionately speaks up for the rights of all people.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ���DAISY Text with Images���.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.