- Table View
- List View
After several years of hard work, Nick and Julia Lambros have made a real success of the Oracle Cafe in the college town of Delphi, Georgia. That is, until one of their regular morning customers keels over in his coffee. Someone in the group of local businessmen who meet daily for breakfast has poisoned unlucky Glenn Bohannon and made it look as though Nick's cooking is to blame. With their livelihood - and then their lives - on the line, Julia and Nick must find out who killed Glenn and why, in order to save themselves. From The Critics Kirkus ReviewsA first novel set in the Georgia college town of Delphi, where Nick Lambros, a Greek immigrant, and wife Julia, a sometime speech pathologist, own the Oracle Cafe. The two work long, hard hours, starting with the regular breakfasters, the Buffaloes-a group of local businessmen. One morning Glenn Bohannon, a recent arrival from Texas exploring the start-up possibilities of a Tex-Mex restaurant, is sitting with the group when he keels over and dies-poisoned. Nick and Julia are redneck Sheriff Cal Taylor's prime suspects. They're also fighters, know they're being set up, and decide to investigate on their own, starting with Bohannon's affair with banker Morgan Fox's oh-so-proper wife Dina. Dina's brother Bobby, crippled and near speechless after a car crash, manages to provide a useful lead. So does Nick and Julia's new cook Spiro, a massive Greek who drives a huge old Pontiac and rents in an area with an ever-changing Spanish population. His rental agent is gorgeous Connie Santos, another of Bohannon's amours, who works for Delphi Rental Properties-ownership carefully obscure. Obscene phone calls, attacks in the night, and another killing spur the feisty couple on-their risky illegal entries and thefts of crucial records eventually uncovering a pillars-of-the-community conspiracy headed by a ruthless but talkative killer.A kind of Nick and Nora for the '90s, this couple radiates warmth and charm, as do some of the minor characters: a slightly overplotted but well-written, fast-paced debut.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.