- Table View
- List View
Poems written in the voices of forty-seven people, including students, teachers, and other school staff, record the aftermath of a high school student's suicide and the preoccupations of teen life.
One minute, Julia is sitting in her fifth-grade classroom listening to a science lesson. The next minute, the entire class has vanished around her. Julia runs for help, but not one believes her--especially since the fifth grade is right where it's supposed to be when Julia returns.
All of a sudden, a huge boom even louder than all of us made us stop and watch the door to room 5C crash open. It hit the wall so hard that the glass almost broke. And, filling up the entire doorway was a man -- or actually it may have been a monster. He sure looked like Frankenstein, except maybe Frankenstein wasn't as big or as ugly. The monster-man had to stoop to get through the doorway, and he strode into our classroom with huge, pounding steps. He wore black cowboy boots which seemed like they could stomp out a person.
Mrs. Mullins told Allan she's a witch. But Allan thinks witches are not real and Mrs. Mullins is definitely real, yet she is a witch. Somehow it did not add up.
Always cautious, Joe has never even gotten so much as an after-school detention. So how is it that this Saturday night, he's at Burger Heaven, waving a loaded gun, yelling at the teen workers to get down on the floor now? Dylan has always succeeded at his twisted plans--until this Saturday, this robbery, where everything has gone wrong. And now, surrounded by police outside Burger Heaven, Dylan's life will never be the same--and neither will the lives of his hostages. Holdup--a novel with nine unforgettable points of view, in four astonishing parts--will leave the reader wondering about luck and life's strange surprises.
WHAT IF YOUR FATHER ISN'T WHO YOU THOUGHT HE WAS? I turn up the volume as a woman at a news desk announces, This just in the alleged DB25 monster has been arrested. Good. The camera switches from the anchor to a mug shot and it is my face or at least my face as it will look thirty years from now. A new image replaces the full-screen mug shot as I see two cops hustling my handcuffed father into the back of a police car. Kevin has to face the worst imaginable possibility: that his father may be the man responsible for a series of vicious killings. How much does he really know about his father?
Donna Newbury volunteers to be the art coordinator on Tad Gordon's campaign for student body president as a lead up to be accepted at the Art Institute of America since she needs extra credit at school. Somehow, she ends up more interested in the candidate than the campaign! Not only does the handsome Tad Gordon like Donna's cartoon campaign but to her great surprise, he also seems to likes her too. But she can't help having some doubts. Is his interest in her just one more empty election promise?
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.