- Table View
- List View
Poems written in the voices of forty-seven people, including students, teachers, and other school staff, record the aftermath of a high school student's suicide and the preoccupations of teen life.
One minute, Julia is sitting in her fifth-grade classroom listening to a science lesson. The next minute, the entire class has vanished around her. Julia runs for help, but not one believes her--especially since the fifth grade is right where it's supposed to be when Julia returns.
All of a sudden, a huge boom even louder than all of us made us stop and watch the door to room 5C crash open. It hit the wall so hard that the glass almost broke. And, filling up the entire doorway was a man -- or actually it may have been a monster. He sure looked like Frankenstein, except maybe Frankenstein wasn't as big or as ugly. The monster-man had to stoop to get through the doorway, and he strode into our classroom with huge, pounding steps. He wore black cowboy boots which seemed like they could stomp out a person.
Mrs. Mullins told Allan she's a witch. But Allan thinks witches are not real and Mrs. Mullins is definitely real, yet she is a witch. Somehow it did not add up.
Always cautious, Joe has never even gotten so much as an after-school detention. So how is it that this Saturday night, he's at Burger Heaven, waving a loaded gun, yelling at the teen workers to get down on the floor now? Dylan has always succeeded at his twisted plans--until this Saturday, this robbery, where everything has gone wrong. And now, surrounded by police outside Burger Heaven, Dylan's life will never be the same--and neither will the lives of his hostages. Holdup--a novel with nine unforgettable points of view, in four astonishing parts--will leave the reader wondering about luck and life's strange surprises.
WHAT IF YOUR FATHER ISN'T WHO YOU THOUGHT HE WAS? I turn up the volume as a woman at a news desk announces, This just in the alleged DB25 monster has been arrested. Good. The camera switches from the anchor to a mug shot and it is my face or at least my face as it will look thirty years from now. A new image replaces the full-screen mug shot as I see two cops hustling my handcuffed father into the back of a police car. Kevin has to face the worst imaginable possibility: that his father may be the man responsible for a series of vicious killings. How much does he really know about his father?
Donna Newbury volunteers to be the art coordinator on Tad Gordon's campaign for student body president as a lead up to be accepted at the Art Institute of America since she needs extra credit at school. Somehow, she ends up more interested in the candidate than the campaign! Not only does the handsome Tad Gordon like Donna's cartoon campaign but to her great surprise, he also seems to likes her too. But she can't help having some doubts. Is his interest in her just one more empty election promise?
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.