- Table View
- List View
This volume begins with excerpts from Aquinas' commentary on De Anima, excerpts that proceed from a general consideration of soul as common to all living things to a consideration of the animal soul and, finally, to what is peculiar to the human soul. These are followed by Treatise on Man, Aquinas' most famous discussion of human nature, but one whose organisation is dictated by theological concerns and whose philosophical importance is thus best appreciated when seen as presented here: within the historical philosophical framework of which it constitutes a development. Aquinas' discussions of the will and the passions follow, providing fruitful points of comparison with other philosophers.
Retaining the selection of texts presented in the first edition, this second edition offers new translations by Richard J Regan -- including that of his Aquinas, Treatise on Law (Hackett, 2000). A revised Introduction and glossary, an updated select bibliography, and the inclusion of summarising headnotes for each of the units -- Conscience, Law, Justice, Property, War and Killing, Obedience and Rebellion, and Practical Wisdom and Statecraft -- further enhance its usefulness.
What is the relation of the state to God? How can a man be both a "political animal" and a follower of Christ? These enduring questions are considered in detail in this volume of selected writings of St Thomas Aquinas. Among the most influential of the medieval philosophers, he is recognized for synthesizing Christian theology with Artistotelian metaphysics, recognized for synthesizing Christian theology with Artistotelian metaphysics, and providing a philosophical defence of Christianity addressed to the non-Christian reader. This selection specifically focuses on Aquinas's concepts of politics, justice and social conflicts, and the impact they have on society. In a discussion of the historical background and evolution of St Thomas Aquinas's political ideas, the editor explains their enduring influence and legacy. He also provides explanatory notes and a glossary of unusual terms and unfamiliar words.
A fresh translation of quaestiones from the Summa theologiae of Thomas Aquinas, edited by Robert Miner. This volume provides direct access to the medieval theologian's deepest thinking about the supreme goal of human life--blessedness--and the virtue most intimately related to this goal--charity. The edition also contains Aquinas's treatment of charity's effects--love, joy, peace, and mercy--and the vices opposed to them, such as hatred, envy, and war. Featuring five supplementary essays by noted Aquinas scholars, the volume will enable readers to engage more thoroughly with the thought of Thomas Aquinas.
A Summa of the Summa: The Essential Philosophical Passages of St. Thomas Aquinas' Summa Theologica, Edited and Explained for Beginnersby Peter Kreeft Thomas Aquinas
This book differs from all other books on St. Thomas because it is more of the primary source itself.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.