- Table View
- List View
Buster Bear is new in the Green Forest. He is so big and has such a loud, grumbly voice the other animals are afraid of him. They don't stay around long enough to find out he has a sense of humor as big as he is. In fact some of them are enraged and try to drive him away by doing mean things like muddying the water so he can't even fish for his breakfast. Then one day Buster Bear gets into trouble for stealing blueberries from the farmer's Boy and the animals learn that Buster is a lot like them. This is a story that shows children the beauty and pleasure of nature and the importance of protecting its animals. These are great read aloud or early reading stories with short chapters. Look for other books in the Bookshare collection by the beloved naturalist and storyteller, Thornton W. Burgess, like: Lightfoot The Deer, The Burgess Animal Book for Children, The Burgess Bird Book for Children, The Adventures of Paddy the Beaver, Old Mother West Wind and Longlegs the Heron, with many more on the way.
When a hunter determines to get Lightfoot the deer as a trophy because of his antlers, all the forest animals team up to help him survive hunting season. When he talks to Peter Rabbit about his new antlers, he finds out that a hunter admired those he had the last year. He receives the most help from Paddy the Beaver, a blue jay, and a most unlikely ally that will surprise readers! After he survives that trouble, he finds trouble of a different kind: a lady love, whom he must win by fighting.
This is a classic Thornton Burgess animal story. Longlegs loses his patience as his breakfast is snatched away just as he's about to catch it. His son is caught in an old trap, and Peter Rabbit tries to decide how to help. Peter ends up taking the run of his life as he tries to avoid becoming Reddy Fox's dinner. In the process, everyone learns at least one lesson, and there are many good laughs.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.