- Table View
- List View
He's suave, he's sexy, he's cool...and he's an undertaker. Hitchcock Sewell is back in one of the funniest and most fast-paced novels yet, in Tim Cockey's celebrated award-winning series. A man has been murdered in his kitchen. And the apparent killer wants Hitch to scoop up the body and take it away...before the police have arrived. Meanwhile, across town, Hitch smells a rat--maybe two--in the nursing home where an old friend of his has taken up residence. With his matchless wit and uncommon ability to dig out the truth, Hitch is once again up to his old tricks...and mystery readers couldn't be happier.
Baltimore's sexiest undertaker, Hitchcock Sewell, is once again cruising for trouble. A childhood friend has been charged with the murder of a local nightclub owner, but Hitch, in his heart, knows she didn't do it. Problem is, the friend has gone into hiding--and she's taken his ever-vivacious ex-wife, Julia, with her. Enlisting the help of a lovably rumpled private eye who is in the midst of a midlife crisis, Hitch's search for his friends and for the real killer takes him from smoky jazz joints, to the world of illegal sports gambling, to the beach (in his hearse, natch)--and, as usual, to a few too many of Baltimore's colorful bars and saloons. Who holds the clue to the real killer's identity? The sultry chanteuse? The felonious painter? The sexy young slip-of-a-thing who wraps men around her finger? It's no wonder that the raves keep coming in for Tim Cockey's delightfully fresh and appealing mystery series featuring the irresistible Hitchcock Sewell, undertaker extraordinaire. The Hearse Case Scenario is another humor-laden hit from one of the freshest voices writing in the mystery world today.
It's a dark and stormy night in Baltimore, and snow isn't the only thing piling up on the front steps of Sewell & Sons Family Funeral Home. There's also trouble. Specifically, a murdered waitress is unceremoniously dropped off at the door while a wake is under way inside. Bad form, no two ways about it. In this witty, page-turning follow-up to Tim Cockey's highly praised first novel, The Hearse You Came In On, charming mortician-about-town Hitchcock Sewell has just one question: Why my place? His meteorologist girlfriend, Bonnie, has bigger fish to fry. The murder is her chance to make the leap from the weather game--which she stinks at anyway--to hard news. A few well-timed bats of Bonnie's big blues, and Hitch is ready to roll. Starting at the seedy airport lounge restaurant where Helen, the murdered woman, worked, and with the reluctant assistance of her estranged sister, Hitch and Bonnie begin to learn more about the woman's past than they really care to know. Daughter of a stripper, nude model, small-time porn actress, single mother of a three-year-old son. Apparently Helen was determined to shake her tawdry past, but did her past catch up with her anyway? Could her son's father--identity unknown--have been the killer? Or maybe her "business manager" in the sex trade? How about one of those lonely business travelers who trawl the airport lounge? Maybe the big guy on the keyboards in the lousy lounge band? Or, for that matter, his jealous wanna-be Cher partner? Hitch's investigation takes him down an increasingly twisted and wicked trail--from Baltimore's low-life strip joints to its high-tone mansions--where he discovers the full scope of the nasty impulses that led to Helen's death. Having planned only to dabble, he's getting in over his head. Luckily, Hitch is a fast learner. At least, he'd better be.
Hitchcock Sewell, Baltimore's most eligible undertaker, is bemused by an alluring mystery woman who arrives at his funeral home in a tennis dress and wants to talk about her own arrangements. Hitch's growing obsession soon draws him into a string of increasingly life-threatening circumstances -- including murder. And if he's not careful, Hitch will find himself six feet under.
Hitchcock Sewell really should know better by now. His job as an undertaker is to bury people, not to go snooping into the reasons why they've ended up on his slab. But then again, if Hitch didn't stick his nose where it doesn't belong, he just wouldn't be Hitch--and readers would be robbed of the latest installment in one of the most talked-about new mystery series to come along in years. This time out, Baltimore's most eligible mortician is taking up the cause of a former flame whose young nanny has just been fished out of the Severn River, near Annapolis. The police are calling it suicide, but Hitch isn't buying it. And it's more than just the cause of death that Hitch finds suspicious. A felonious former governor of Kentucky; a tainted right-wing religious organization; a really, really bad actor; and a dogged tabloid journalist with more interest in chasing down Hitch's luscious ex-wife Julia than in chasing down the story all fall into Hitchcock's path as he attempts to sort out the truth behind what really happened to the nanny. With his renowned blend of saucy wit, characters who could walk off the pages, and a fast-paced plot worth sinking your teeth into, Tim Cockey has done it again in Murder In the Hearse Degree. Find out why people are calling Hitchcock Sewell "the love child of Cary Grant and Groucho Marx." It's mystery like you've never seen it.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.