- Table View
- List View
What does it mean to be bad? Eric Bear has it all: a successful career, a beautiful wife, a blissful home. He knows he's been lucky; a while back, his life revolved around drugs, gambling, a gang of stuffed-animal thugs, and notorious crime boss Nicholas Dove. But the past isn't as far away as Eric had hoped. Rumors are swirling that Dove is on the Death List and that he wants Eric to save him. If Eric fails to act, his beloved wife, Emma Rabbit, will be torn apart, limb by limb. With a nod to the best of noir and the wisest of allegories, and interlaced with greed and gangsters, Amberville depicts an alternate world that mirrors our own realities and moral concerns, and reminds us of the inextricable link between good and evil.
A fast-paced literary and psychological drama in which the trials and tribulations of a group of stuffed animals illuminate the moral and philosophical dilemmas we all share While finishing what was to be his greatest symphony, famed composer Reuben Walrus discovers he is going deaf. Desperate to stave off the encroaching silence, he embarks on an odyssey to find a fabled creature named Maximilian, rumored to have healing powers but only traceable via an underground network. But as Reuben gets closer to the truth, he must ask himself: Just who-or what-is Maximilian? The story of the legendary creature is recorded by Wolf Diaz, Maximilian's oldest friend and most loyal follower. Oddly, unlike the other stuffed animals of Mollisan Town, Maximilian did not arrive by green delivery truck. He cannot be identified as any particular species and is made from a material unlike any other with almost invisible seams. And most puzzling, he grows in size. As Maximilian matures, he begins to preach odd parables, attracting a legion of followers hoping to learn from his teachings. But his believers aren't the only stuffed animals paying attention as his growing influence threatens the power of the darker forces currently ruling Mollisan Town. Now Maximilian is in hiding . . . and time is running out for Reuben to find him. As his search widens, the composer encounters a detective mouse, a giraffe who swears Maximilian miraculously cured his stomach cancer, and a mink who may hold the key to Reuben's salvation. But it's a race against time as Reuben's world steadily goes silent, and his desperation may ultimately lead to his undoing. With biting prose and compelling plot twists, Lanceheim is a tour de force all the way to the last sentence, as the true natures of Wolf Diaz, Reuben Walrus, and Maximilian are uncovered. Through the stuffed animals living in the imaginative world he introduced in the critically acclaimed Amberville, Tim Davys explores the hopes and fears, strengths and weaknesses, that define humanity as he pens a story that is both gripping and extraordinary.
A horrendous crime sets off a disturbing chain of events that will force the citizens of Mollisan Town to debate profound issues of free will and destiny in this powerful tale from the internationally acclaimed Tim Davys. In the Tourquai neighborhood of Mollisan Town, Superintendent Larry Bloodhound is the keeper of the peace and ruler of the streets. But there are others more powerful than he-a cadre of wealthy elite, including Oswald Vulture, who live above the law's reach. When Vulture is found headless in his ornate office atop Mollisan Town's most exclusive building, Bloodhound knows he must take special care in the investigation. But with the head missing and no sign of a break-in or murder weapon, this just may be the perfect crime. The search for answers leads Bloodhound and his team, Anna Lynx and Falcon Ècu-along with his closest friend, private detective Philip Mouse-deep into the exclusive, secretive world of Mollisan Town's most privileged. Who had the most to gain from Vulture's demise? His slithery and sexy secretary, Emanuelle Cobra? Or his seductive mistress, Jasmine Squirrel? And what about Igor Panda, a desperate gambler whose debts may have pushed him to do the unthinkable? But before he can find the truth, Bloodhound must face his own weaknesses. As he did in Amberville and Lanceheim, Tim Davys weaves an intricate plot around larger questions of human nature, exploring issues of fate, loyalty, good, and evil. As Bloodhound uncovers the secrets behind the world of stuffed animals, so, too, does Davys reveal greater truths about the world of humans.
Tim Davys is one of the most uniquely imaginative novelists writing today--the architect of Mollisan Town, a dark urban nightmare located in an alternate world populated by stuffed animals that lie, cheat, dream, despair, love, and kill. In the final installment in his acclaimed Mollisan Town Quartet, Davys leads us into Yok, a district of dashed hopes and broken dreams--the seediest neighborhood of "a unique place that is both strange and familiar" (Boston Globe)--and employs an engaging cast of damaged animate plush toys to explore provocative questions of life, death, and morality. Yok is nourishment for readers hungry for off-beat, literary fiction, and fans of Christopher Moore, Neil Gaiman, Clifford Chase, and Jasper Fforde will be inexorably drawn into Davys' ingeniously sculpted world.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.