- Table View
- List View
Teach yourself the fundamentals of ADO.NET 4 -- one step at a time. With this practical, learn-by-doing tutorial, you get the clear guidance and hands-on examples you need to start creating datacentric applications for Windows® and the Web. Discover how to: Connect to external data sources, including databases and other data formats Use ADO.NET Entity Framework to interact with underlying data stores Build Entity Framework models with graphical design tools in Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Analyze information stored in ADO.NET with various LINQ providers Bind data directly to Windows Forms and Web Forms to drive information to users Manage disconnected or standalone data and information Go beyond the core functionality of ADO.NET to manipulate data in more advanced ways Your step by step digital content includes: Practice exercises Fully searchable online edition of this book -- with unlimited access on the Web
Ever since Visual Basic was merged into .NET, it's become the core language for creating business applications with Windows. The latest version, VB 2008, is even more useful -- and provides even more incentive for migrating from VB 6. All it lacks is a good book on how to harness its power. Programming Visual Basic 2008 fills the void. Written in a lively and engaging style by a developer who's grown up with Visual Basic, including both VB 6 and VB .NET, this hands-on guide addresses the core topics of the new VB, from basic to complex, with plenty of code examples. Programming Visual Basic 2008 also examines .NET programming from the application level with a chapter-by-chapter plan for developing, documenting, and deploying a full data-driven application. You learn, step-by-step, how to build and deploy a library management system, complete with patron, inventory, and barcode support. The book's broad range of topics include:VB language and its syntax An overview of the .NET Framework Object-oriented development in VB and .NET Generic objects, collections, and nullable types Design and management of software projects Integrating desktop features with Windows Forms Database design with SQL Server 2008 Database interface design with ADO.NET The new LINQ feature, and how to use it within VB and .NET Embedding XML within application source code Encryption and authentication in .NET Interacting with data stored in files and directories Web development using ASP.NET Deploying an application to a user's workstation And much moreProgramming Visual Basic 2008 is ideal for VB 6 programmers who are ready to move to .NET, as well as VB.NET programmers who wish to improve their project-focused software development skills. Programming novices and developers coming from other languages will find the book valuable because of its language instruction and project design knowledge. Once you finish the book, you will have a firm grasp of VB 2008's core concepts and language elements, and understand how to build VB projects as they were intended -- as complete, cohesive solutions.
This book will help you solve more than 300 of the most common and not-so-common tasks that working Visual Basic 2005 programmers face every day. If you're a seasoned .NET developer, beginning Visual Basic programmer, or a developer seeking a simple and clear migration path from VB6 to Visual Basic 2005, the Visual Basic 2005 Cookbook delivers a practical collection of problem-solving recipes for a broad range of Visual Basic programming tasks. The concise solutions and examples in the Visual Basic 2005 Cookbook range from simple tasks to the more complex, organized by the types of problems you need to solve. Nearly every recipe contains a complete, documented code sample showing you how to solve the specific problem, as well as a discussion of how the underlying technology works and that outlines alternatives, limitations, and other considerations. As with all O'Reilly Cookbooks, each recipe helps you quickly understand a problem, learn how to solve it, and anticipate potential tradeoffs or ramifications. Useful features of the book include: Over 300 recipes written in the familiar O'Reilly Problem-Solution-Discussion format Hundreds of code snippets, examples, and complete solutions available for download VB6 updates to alert VB6 programmers to code-breaking changes in Visual Basic 2005 Recipes that target Visual Basic 2005 features not included in previous releases Code examples covering everyday data manipulation techniques and language fundamentals Advanced projects focusing on multimedia and mathematical transformations using linear algebraic methods Specialized topics covering files and file systems, printing, and databasesIn addition, you'll find chapters on cryptography and compression, graphics, and special programming techniques. Whether you're a beginner or an expert, the Visual Basic 2005 Cookbook is sure to save you time, serving up the code you need, when you need it.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.