- Table View
- List View
"I often shrink from books about prayer, because they usually produce in me feelings of inadequacy. I was delighted to find Tim Jones to be a sympathetic, not intimidating, guide. He writes with humility, clarity, and practicality-exactly the qualities I want in a book on prayer."-Philip YanceyRevised and Expanded Edition with Study Guide Included"Timothy Jones...guides us into a life of prayer not by cramming us with knowledge and technique, but by quietly returning us to simplicity of soul and the presence of God."-Eugene PetersonSomething within us wants to grow closer to the God who loves to relate to us. But we often hesitate. Even though we have a desire to pray, questions nag us:Can I pray when I feel distant from God?Is it okay to ask God for help in "little" things?What do I do when I don't know what to say?What sense can I make of seemingly unanswered prayer?How do I keep growing closer to God?In The Art of Prayer, Timothy Jones honestly shares his own struggles with prayer and invites you to be honest-and hopeful-as well. Offering biblically wise, warmly instructive explorations of our questions, Jones considers how you can become fluent in the world's simplest language: talking with God.Includes a full-length inductive Bible study guide on prayer, ideal for small groups or individual readers."...wisely human, spiritually practical, and wonderfully interesting."- the late Lewis Smedes, author of My God and I"...luminous prose and...lucid insights."-Publishers WeeklyFrom the Trade Paperback edition.
Timothy Jones offers a fresh look at the centuries-old tradition of having a spiritual companion, a mentor, a friend to encourage you. He links the wisdom of the past with practical suggestions from today's world to help you find and develop such a friendship.
Many of us worry about our kids getting pulled under by our culture's negative currents. We try to shout over the roar of media blitzes, misguided values in the schools, and peer pressure. And we wonder how to raise faithful children.For parents who sometimes feel they haven't done enough, Jones provides ideas for taking small steps toward communication and intimacy, showing you how to take advantage of teachable moments by fully "focusing on the present."
Want More for Your Prayer Life!Few areas of the Christian life inspire more resolutions--or create more guilt--than prayer. Most of us share the longing expressed by Jesus' disciples, "Lord, teach us to pray." Like them, we see a depth and reality in Jesus' relationship with the Father that makes us restless for something more. The wonderful news is that Scripture is filled with guidance for talking with God. As we study and apply its teaching, our own prayer life will become intimate and fruitful, daily growing more like the prayers of Jesus. 12 Sessions for Individuals or GroupsFisherman Bible Studyguides include: . Penetrating questions that generate discussion. . Flexible format for groups or individual needs. . Helpful leader's notes.. Emphasis on daily application of Bible truth.
From the Book Jacket: Libby Riddles wanted an adventure. At age 16 she left home for the snowy wilderness of Alaska, the Last Frontier. There her love of animals drew her to the sport of sled dog racing. When she entered the Iditarod, the famous marathon from Anchorage to Nome, she was just another Iditarod Nobody. Twelve hundred miles later, having conquered blizzards, extreme cold, and exhaustion, she and her dogs crossed the final stretch of sea ice, miles ahead of the nearest competitor... and suddenly she realized: I will be the first woman to win the Iditarod. This is the story of a courageous woman and her heroic dogs. This is the story of Libby Riddles's adventure.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivonas Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.