- Table View
- List View
Previously available only through free distribution to prisons, this life-changing book is the result of charitable donations from sales of Chicken Soup for the Christian Family Soul and gifts from thousands of individuals. In the spring of 2000, over 100,000 copies of Chicken Soup for the Prisoner's Soul were distributed to prisoners, prison libraries, and prison ministries throughout the United States. The hope was that this collection of stories would touch the hearts of prisoners and offer them hope and encouragement, as well as inspire them to transcend the limiting thinking and behaviors of their past. The book was so successful that the co-authors soon found themselves flooded with requests for the book from family members, correctional officers, prison volunteers, and others. Because of this huge demand, the decision was made to also release the book to the general public.
Chicken Soup for the Prisoner's Soul: 101 Stories to Open the Heart and Rekindle the Spirit of Hope, Healing and Forgivenessby Jack Canfield Mark Victor Hansen Tom Lagana
This is a collection of 101 stories to open the heart and rekindle hope and forgiveness. It was meant for prisoners but is in great demand among the general public.
Deep within each one of us lies the ability to step up and care for those in need, even though we often feel overwhelmed by a complex world. In fact, more than 200 million people throughout the world offer their time and love to volunteering. The stories in Chicken Soup for the Volunteer's Soul highlight the efforts of everyday people in the United States and around the globe who volunteer with the American Red Cross, Big Brothers Big Sisters, Habitat for Humanity, the Peace Corps, Points of Light, Rotary, and many, many other nonprofit organizations. Lovingly chosen from more than six thousand stories, poems, and cartoons, these tales will inspire readers to do everything in their power to help those in need. Chapters include: The Rewards of Volunteering, Giving Back, Making a Difference, New Appreciation, Love and Kindness, Defining Moments, A Matter of Perspective, Overcoming Obstacles, and On Wisdom. Readers will cherish the story of a community that rallied together to send warm winter coats to refugee families in Kosovo. They'll be moved by the tale of a woman with a "smiley voice" who made audiotapes for the visually impaired despite a losing battle with cancer. They'll never forget the eight-year-old boy without arms or legs who fearlessly wielded a tennis racquet to propel a ball down the length of a room. And they'll be charmed by a rabbit named Cadberi who brings boundless joy to residents of a nursing home.
Select your format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. To learn more about using Bookshare with your device, visit the "Using Bookshare" page in the Help Center.
Here is an overview of the specialized formats that Bookshare offers its members with links that go to the Help Center for more information.
- Bookshare Web Reader - a customized reading tool for Bookshare members offering all the features of DAISY with a single click of the "Read Now" link.
- DAISY (Digital Accessible Information System) - a digital book file format. DAISY books from Bookshare are DAISY 3.0 text files that work with just about every type of access technology that reads text. Books that contain images will have the download option of ‘DAISY Text with Images’.
- BRF (Braille Refreshable Format) - digital Braille for use with refreshable Braille devices and Braille embossers.
- MP3 (Mpeg audio layer 3) - Provides audio only with no text. These books are created with a text-to-speech engine and spoken by Kendra, a high quality synthetic voice from Ivona. Any device that supports MP3 playback is compatible.
- DAISY Audio - Similar to the Daisy 3.0 option above; however, this option uses MP3 files created with our text-to-speech engine that utilizes Ivona's Kendra voice. This format will work with Daisy Audio compatible players such as Victor Reader Stream and Read2Go.