- Table View
- List View
Steven de Selby has a hangover. Bright lights, loud noise, and lots of exercise are the last thing he wants. But that's exactly what he gets when someone starts shooting at him.Steven is no stranger to death - Mr. D's his boss after all - but when a dead girl saves him from sharing her fate, he finds himself on the wrong end of the barrel. His job is to guide the restless dead to the underworld but now his clients are his own colleagues, friends, and family.Mr. D's gone missing and with no one in charge, the dead start to rise, the living are hunted, and the whole city teeters on the brink of a regional apocalypse - unless Steven can shake his hangover, not fall for the dead girl, and find out what happened to his boss - that is, Death himself.THE BUSINESS OF DEATH includes the first two volumes of the Death Works trilogy, Death Most Definite and Managing Death, as well as the third volume.
Steve knew something was wrong the moment he saw the dead girl in the Wintergarden food court. Nothing new, he saw dead people all the time, but this one was about to save his life. . . Steve works in the family firm. He is a Pomp - tasked with easing spirits from this dimension to the next after death. And he s kind of OK with that, until someone high up the corporate hierarchy makes a bid to be Australia s new Regional Death. This means killing all of the current Pomp necromancer he ever knew has been killed, Steve is left to make a reluctant stand. But to do this he must stay alive. Threatened at every turn, Steve and the dangerously attractive (and dead) Lissa go on the run to save what s left of their world.
Included in this compilation of samples from our upcoming titles for Winter/Spring 2011 is a wide array of Science Fiction and Fantasy titles for every reader. All types of mythical beasties and villains abound-including vampire assassins stalking the canals of Venice in Jon Courtenay Grimwood's The Fallen Blade, zombie infestations everywhere in Jesse Petersen's Flip this Zombie, and, of course, a mysterious, if somewhat confused, pig in Tom Holt's hilarious Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Sausages. Also, Gail Z. Martin returns to the world of The Summoner in a new series starting with The Sworn. Joe Abercrombie takes us down into the dirt and blood of a battlefield and shows us all the true face of heroism in The Heroes. And, finally, the urban fantasists are back with the new Matthew Swift book from Kate Griffin, The Neon Court, the next entry in Trent Jamieson's Death Works series with Managing Death, Sabina Kane's return in Green-Eyed Demon by Jaye Wells and, a special treat, the entire Dante Valentine series in one volume from Lilith Saintcrow!
Spring is here and with spring flowers come new titles from your favorite Orbit authors! This ebook contains sample chapters from our newest titles including Karen Miller's new prequel to the Kingmaker Kingbreaker series, A Blight of Mages; a new over-the-top SF romp from Philip Palmer, Hell Ship; The Edinburgh Dead by Brian Ruckley will take you to a Victorian Scotland where a band of enterprising villains have taken Mary Shelley's Frankenstein as a textbook; a gripping debut from ex-CIA analyst and debut author T.C. McCarthy's Germline will take readers to the front lines of a brutal future war; Kate Elliot's Cold Magic which puts a Jane Eyre twist on epic fantasy and steampunk; The Business of Death collects the entire Death Works trilogy from urban fantasy author Trent Jamieson; and finally Brent Weeks is back with the first volume of his new series, The Black Prism, now in paperback!
It's not easy being Death. For starters, people keep dying. And then, they keep getting up again. Steven de Selby got promoted. This makes the increasing number of stirrers (and the disturbing rumors of a zombie god rising sometime soon) his problem. That time management seminar he keeps meaning to take would also remind him that he's got a Death Moot to plan, a Christmas party to organize, and an end-of-the-world thing to avert. Steven must start managing Death, before Death starts managing him, or this time the Apocalypse will be more than Regional.
The conclusion of the Night-Bound Land duology. The Roil has not yet been defeated - and the Roil extends its grip on Shale, following the commands of the Dreaming Cities. Wars will be fought. Doomsday weapons employed. And night will fall.File Under: Fantasy [ The World Engines | Darkness Prevails | A Land In Shadow | Final Chance ]e-book ISBN: 978-0-85766-188-3From the Paperback edition.
Shale is in trouble - the creature-filled darkness known as the Roil is expanding, consuming the land, swallowing cities whole. Where once there were 12 metropolises, now only 4 remain.It's up to a drug addict, an old man and a woman bent on revenge to try to save their city - and the world.File Under: Fantasy [ End Of The World | The Darkness Approaches | Addiction | On The Edge ]e-book ISBN: 9780857661852From the Paperback edition.
Select your download format based upon: 1) how you want to read your book, and 2) compatibility with your reading tool. For more details, visit the Formats page under the Getting Started tab.See and hear words read aloud
- DAISY Text - See words on the screen and hear words being read aloud with the text-to-speech voice installed on your reading tool. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Can also be used in audio-only mode. Compatible with many reading tools, including Bookshare’s free reading tools.
- DAISY Text with Images - Similar to DAISY Text with the addition of images within the Text. Your reading tool must support images.
- Read Now with Bookshare Web Reader - Read and see images directly from your Internet browser without downloading! Text-to-speech voicing and word highlighting are available on Google Chrome (extension installation required). Other browsers can be used with limited features. Learn more
- DAISY Audio - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate by page, chapter, section, and more. Must be used with a DAISY Audio compatible reading tool.
- MP3 - Listen to books in audio-only mode with the high-quality Kendra voice by Ivona pre-installed. Navigate using tracks. Can be used with any MP3 player.
- BRF (Braille Ready Format) - Read with any BRF compatible refreshable braille display; navigate using the search or find feature.
- DAISY Text - Read with any DAISY 3.0 compatible refreshable braille display, navigate by page, chapter, section, and more.
- Embossed Braille - Use Bookshare’s DAISY Text or BRF formats to generate embossed braille.